Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Preps Azure Cloud Service For Linux Servers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hell didn't freeze over but it did get a couple of degrees cooler..... :devil:

Microsoft to Run Linux on Azure | PCWorld

After years of battling Linux as a competitive threat, Microsoft is now offering Linux-based operating systems on its Windows Azure cloud service.

The Linux services will go live on Azure at 4 a.m. EDT on Thursday. At that time, the Azure portal will offer a number of Linux distributions, including Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2, OpenSuse 12.01, CentOS 6.2 and Canonical Ubuntu 12.04. Azure users will be able to choose and deploy a Linux distribution from the Microsoft Windows Azure Image Gallery...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 March 2013 - 10:00 PM.
Moved to News forum and added quote tags. ~ OB

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

You might think the old saying applies: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But thinking that would be a mistake.

More accurately and appropriately, one should always apply the 3 "Es" of Microsoft's existence: Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

There are many bodies along the path from Microsoft's early beginnings to the present. Most of them "partners" who no longer exist. Like, say, is happening to Nokia right this moment.

I have more than enough "cloud" services to handle my needs: ADrive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Google Drive, MegaCloud, ownCloud, Box, etc. No need for yet another. Businesses would be wise to set up their own "cloud" to keep all proprietary or sensitive information away from others. ESPECIALLY from Microsoft.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I am still trying to decide if this is a win for the linux community, if you think about it, every other hosting/cloud service usually has an option to run a version of linux, to me it seems microsoft is just trying to keep up with the rest of the internet. I am however happy to see linux becoming more popular, as well as what appears to be microsoft thinking/confirming that linux is a viable option to pour its time and energy into bringing it to its cloud customers. Thanks for sharing this, need to get my feeds working again, seems google news just isnt as good as it used to be. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I don't get it. This thread has 2 replies (3, counting this one). Yet it shows no views (this is at least my 4th view), no responses, nada.

What gives?

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

What do you mean? It shows 831-ish views for me.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

Showing 990 views for me this morning.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

I see zero views, zero responses. It also moves down the list and never moves back to the top with a new post.

I have seen this behavior since it was first put up. All of the other threads are acting normally. Only this single one shows up this way.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

You are probably clicking the link in the linux forum, which is a redirection link, since this topic was moved from the linux forum to the news forum.
sigcomp.png 

#9 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

I just discovered that.

I don't go to the News section, I go to the linux section. In linux everything is zero. But I went to the News section after my last response and immediately saw all of the stats.

I didn't notice the link at top wasn't the same as the section I entered from until today. Makes sense now. Sorta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users