Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing PSU and GPU?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Dream1

Dream1

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Is there anything I need to do to install a new PSU and GPU besides just screw them in? Anything in terms of safety precautions, hooking up the hardware, drivers, software, etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dgdawg

dgdawg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

The power supply should work right off, just make sure you get all the connections hooked up and connected in the right direction (putting a connector in the wrong way can be bad).

I would download the current drivers, uninstall the previous GPU drivers, shut down, and then install the GPU.  Make sure you connect the GPU power if needed.  When it boots up install the previously downloaded drivers.

Also, I would use an anti-static wristband.  If you don't have one, touching the metal on the case constantly is a secondary method but not as good as the wristband.

#3 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

How do you uninstall GPU drivers? I'm currently running under the integrated graphics on my motherboard.

#4 dgdawg

dgdawg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

I am not sure about integrated graphics.  I think you can just disable it in device manager.  I would do a little research on it though.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

If you are using integrated drivers, there should be something in the program manager allowing you to uninstall AMD's Catalyst or Nvidia's ForceWare driver packages.  Once you do this, you may need to disable on-board video in the BIOS if the computer doesn't detect the add-in graphics card when you power up after installing the GPU.  Make sure you download the driver packages from Nvidia or AMD's website before installing the card, this will save time.

3939.png

#6 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

OK I have no idea how to do any of that.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

This video may explain a little better how to install a new graphics card.  That whole integrated thing is in case your new card isn't detected.  Also, be sure to plug your monitor into a port on the back of the graphics card.

3939.png

#8 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

If you are using integrated drivers, there should be something in the program manager allowing you to uninstall AMD's Catalyst or Nvidia's ForceWare driver packages.  Once you do this, you may need to disable on-board video in the BIOS if the computer doesn't detect the add-in graphics card when you power up after installing the GPU.  Make sure you download the driver packages from Nvidia or AMD's website before installing the card, this will save time.

Where is program manager? I'm confused why I would uninstall AMD Catalyst or Nvidia ForceWare, when I am using integrated graphics and not a GPU from AMD or Nvidia. And I'm confused why I would download the drivers before installing the card. How would that save time? 

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

What graphics card are you using now?

If you are buying a new graphics card containing an AMD or Nvidia GPU, downloading the drivers now will mean you don't have to later.  These drivers are needed to get your card working beyond basic functionality.  AMD and Nvidia do make integrated graphics cards, because you didn't specify a brand, I used those as an example.  The program manager is in the Control Panel, it may also be listed under Add/Remove Programs or something similar depending on the version of Windows you are using.

3939.png

#10 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

Integrated Intel GMA 3100 graphics with 256 MB shared memory

The graphics card came with a drivers disc. I still cannot find program manager. What is program manager supposed to look like?

Edited by Dream1, 04 April 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

If you are using an Intel integrated card, you usually don't have to worry about drivers.  To find the program manager, or something like it, I need to know which version of Windows you are using.  Also, which graphics card did you get?  The drivers that are on the disc are usually out-of-date.

3939.png

#12 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

Win 7, I got this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have that graphics card, but it is made by XFX.  Here is the Microsoft tutorial on how to uninstall a program.  As you are using an AMD card, you should download the drivers from AMD's website.  Later on, when you want to upgrade your AMD GPU drivers to a new one, it is usually best to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones.

3939.png

#14 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ok, thanks. How long should I wait to upgrade the drivers from their website after using the drivers from the disc?

#15 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

Just use drivers from website 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users