Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys won't mind helping me with this issue. I have Windows Vista 32 bit Home Edition.

I recently noticed that it's been 2 weeks since my laptop scheduled an auto installation of windows updates on Sundays so I decided to check if any new ones were available. When I clicked on Check For Updates, I received the following message:

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

I restarted but nothing changed. I also went into the settings and selected never update, applied, then exited, then went back and re-selected auto update and install and applied but again, the same result.

I have no idea how to restart or reset the windows update so it will work. 

I would really appreciate if you could please help me correct this problem.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your replies.

Best regards!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hello, first try the BITS repair tool..

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi Boopme and thank you for your reply.

I followed the Microsoft instructions and downloaded BITS (Windows6.0-KB940520-x86-ENU) and ran the program and it instantly popped up with the message "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) repair is not required currently".

Please advise as to what I should try next.

Thank you for the help!!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Then we will use this.
Download Windows Repair (all in one) from [url=" site
Install the program then run it.
Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:
p22001645.gif

Once that is done then skip Steps 3 and 4.
Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.
p22001166.gif

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default)(if you see extra items not shown, leave them un-checked):
p22001647.gif
Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thank you for the reply! I will definitely try this when I return home and post the results!

#6 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Followed all your instructions and completed all tasks. Windows Update can now be accessed via the control panel. When I opened it, there was already a message saying "Checking for updates" and it's been displayed there for quite some time. Not sure if that's how it is supposed to stay. Also, below it stated that the most recent check for updates was never, updates were installed: never, etc. Does this mean that all my previous windows updates were also deleted/uninstalled during the tweaking repair?

Thank you again for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Best regards!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Well check and install.. cannot be certain why they are not there.

How can I tell if my computer is up to date

Install Windows updates

#8 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Just wanted to let you know that all the new Windows Updates have been installed along side the previous ones and that the auto update feature is functioning as normal.

Thank you again for helping me resolve this matter. 

It is greatly appreciated!

Best regards!

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

You're very welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users