Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Utterly Desparate - Beeping Laptop Crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Winkypot

Winkypot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1370 laptop.  I was running windows 7 until recently (I had started to experience a few problems; occasionally freeze but nothing traumatic).  I recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (having backed up all my data on a separate desktop HD).  Since installing Win 8 Pro, I have numerous crashes.  I've tried a fresh re-install but problem persists. 

Each crash is preceded with beeps (no particular pattern, 4 then 2 then 2 again etc).  Then a blue screen flashes up for a second before a normal black screen with:  a few lines of text before the final line "Operating system not found"

If I then reboot from the power-on I may get a few mins or even up to an hr (approx) before it crashes again:

I've tried the following:

1.  Complete re-install (from Wind 8 pro disc) - several times - no avail

2.  Crystal Disk software to check if hard drive is failing (all seems OK)

3.  Kaspersky anti-virus scan inc root - nothing found

I'm worried I've got a more serious hidden root / boot virus but I'm no IT Jedi and hopeless out of my depth with how to fix

Any advice most gratefully received.

PS - Laptop has no files on hard drive which need saving

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Sounds like the system is overheating, do you have the factory restore partition or system tools still installed?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Winkypot

Winkypot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

3 partitions on the hard drive:  C Drive (288 GB), A recovery partition (9.77 GB) and a third (OEM partition?).  The last two show free space the same as capacity (i.e nothing in them?).  All say 'healthy'

I can only access the Win 8 system maint tools - I've tried the "remove everthing and reinstall / reset to factory settings" a couple of times.  It works fine it terms of refreshing to Win 8 not Win 7 ...and the crashes return

Many thanks

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Anything in Event viewer reflecting a problem (flagged as error, critical or Warning)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

according to dell beeps 4, 2, 2 is a defective system board

http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/document.aspx?s=bsd&~file=/systems/ban_gx1/beep.htm

Posted Image

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Thank you for finding that!:o) its been a very busy week at work.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Winkypot

Winkypot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Sneaky

Event log shows:

Critical as:  Event ID 41.  Source:  Kernel Power (I assume this reflects the symptom, not the cause of the crashes). 

Errors:  Numerous with various event IDs and Source (WMI and ACPI....)

Herg

Very many thanks for the link to the beep codes - didn't realise they related to different faults - will listen carefully to next crash to check

PS - if it is the system board - is replacement financially viable?  Any advice or guidance on whether such a task is doable by a careful amateur?

All the support v much appreciated

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Replacement boards Very in price it depends if you want a Certified Re manufactured Board with a warranty, A gently used one with a limited warranty or hope and pray one with a 30 day warranty. I have had good and bad experience with both. Best advice I can give you is if you order it online call and see if you can talk to customer service if you get a person and they offer up information you have a chance of returning a bad board. If you order one on Ebay make sure you double check the part number on the board, and email the seller. If they don't respond or won't give any information move on. In their defense there are allot of reputable sellers that own their own shops that sell good parts you just have to find them. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Winkypot

Winkypot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Many thanks - I'll take the plunge and try the replacement board route