Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell studio giving a beep code at start up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dxgoalie

dxgoalie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

during the dell spash screen i get 5 sets of 5 groupings of 3 beeps, (3-3-3-3-3) 5 times after this the splash screen has loaded and will go black with the white underline blinking curser in the top left corner.  I am able to use the f keys to get into the bios menu and the boot menu, but it will not boot off of the reinstall windows vista disk.  according to the bios menu it is running a A13 bios.

any ideas on the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

You might want to check your keyboard for any locked keys, possible clean your keyboard.

3-3-3-3

Scan for F2 key stroke

#3 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

how would I do this?

also sometimes it 5 sets of 5 groupings and sometimes it 3 sets of 5 groupings

#4 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

What is the full model of your Dell Studio? It will be something like "Dell Studio XPS  435MT." With that we may be able to find the POST error list and find out what that beep code means.

#5 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

it is a dell studio 1555

#6 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

i also looked in the wrong spot the BIOS is a PhoenixBIOS version A13

#7 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

According to this link. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=&l=&s=&docid=118862 The 5 Beeps code is a CMOS error, and the 3 Beeps is more than likely a Clock test error, because the clock info is stored with the CMOS battery.

To correct this, you would have to get a new CMOS battery and change it out. That shouldn't be too hard to do. The CMOS Battery can be found inside the cover panel on the bottom of the laptop, and it should be easy to remove. I believe it is an CR2032 battery, but double check it before buying one. You should be able to buy them at Walgreens,  CVS, or any store like that; and it should be less than $5. Just swap it out, make sure you put it back in the right way, and set the time and date,

That should take care of your problem.  You can search for "beep" with ctrl+f on the link I provided to skip to the section about beep codes. :)

I hope this helps.

#8 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

well i got a new one, replaced it, and reset the time and date but i am still getting the same beep codes

#9 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

When you replaced the CMOS battery, you made sure the side with the bevel along the edge was facing down, correct? Did you notice if the receptacle felt loose? (Here is a link to a youtube video that is a similar laptop to yours with a CMOS issue: )

The other problems that this could indicate are a faulty Keyboard or Chipset. A bad chipset would most likely mean a motherboard replacement, however I am not very familiar with this laptop so there may be other solutions. If you have a USB keyboard, you could try connecting that to see if it stops the beep code from occurring.

Is your laptop under warranty? You can check this by entering your Service Tag (usually an 7 digit alpha-numeric) at http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector

Edited by Sunnovah, 25 March 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#10 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

This CMOS battery wasn't lose or falling off when i replaced it and i put it back with the beveled down.  I havent updated my chipset in a while, but would that make a difference?

The only usb keyboard I have I wont be able to get till this weekend at the earliest.

I bought my computer a while ago and is no longer under warrenty

#11 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well, not updating the chipset shouldn't cause a failure. Are you still getting the 5 beep code, or is it just the 3 beeps?

#12 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

most of the time it is the 5 sets of 3-3-3-3-3 but like every 4th or 5th time it will be 3 sets of 3-3-3-3-3

#13 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

The number of sets isn't important, it is the number of beeps per set. So, do you get any messages at all, or is it just a blinking cursor?

#14 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Ok then its the three beeps 5 times, every time.

the beeping occurs during the dell splash screen, where you can hit f2 for setup and f10 for boot settings, the load bar and the beeping end at about the same time.  Then the screen goes black and a white underline curser appears flashing at the top left of the screen.  This is as far as it gets.

#15 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

During the splash screen it is running the Power On Self Test or POST. That is where it is detecting the error, and since you already replaced the cheapest component that could cause your error, you are most likely looking at a keyboard replacement, or replacing the motherboard as your worst case scenario.

It is possible that you can buy an extended warranty from Dell, but I am not sure how much that costs. It will be different depending on your laptop. I highly recommend contacting Dell to find out if you are eligible to get a warranty extension, and find out how much it costs if you are.

A new keyboard will probably run you between $20 - $30, and I couldn't guarantee that that would fix your problem. A new motherboard is over $100. The warranty extension is probably going to be closer to $100, but it will guarantee your issues will be fixed and you will have the peace of mind for the extra year.

Perhaps someone here more familiar with the Dell Studio Laptops will be able to chime in though. I'm sorry I couldn't help you get your issue resolved. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users