Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Polizei - Canadian version of FBI virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigtrav

bigtrav

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

So, I have been looking around.  I AM infected.  I see several reports of "The FBI Virus" that is a ransomware.  I am infected with the very same thing, only I live in Canada, so they have tried to create a Canadian version of the page (only the police is not called POLIZEI in any part of Canada).  It has everything blocked on my PC.  I see only the warning.  I have two monitors on this PC and my second screen is simply black.  No links (that I am going to click), no options.  No red X for CLOSE WINDOW, no toolbar, nothing.  I am at the mercy of the big fake warning. 

I have seen many helpful people tell those affected with this virus to get certain applications onto the infected PC using SafeMode and whatnot.  A few seem to have been lucky, but as they all say... Lucky.  I am not being lucky so far.  I am unable to use any version of SafeMode.  I have been able to boot from a repair disk and even get a DOS prompt, but I cannot run any aspect of Windows or anything.  I am completely unable to get files to the infected PC.

I use: 

AV:   Microsoft Security Essentials

CCleaner after any cleanup

A few things I can tell you about the behaviour of this affliction:

-It started very quickly

-reboot was very fast and so was shutdown, at the time of affliction

-now, reboot and shutdown take a long time (over a minute-ish in each direction)

-with the warning up, I usually have to manually shut down the PC

-upon attempting any version of Safemode, the blue Welcome Screen comes up, then there is a quick flicker of the black SafeMode Screen, then the blue Shutting Down Screen

-On that quick flicker of the SafeMode Screen, I can see the DOS prompt comes up and a command is executed, but it all happens too fast and I have no idea what it says

Thanx

Edited by bigtrav, 25 March 2013 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigtrav

bigtrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

hmm... So, just as I had written this and figured that was it for the night, I made the breakthrough! 

I rebooted a few more times (futile, I thought).  The only thing these reboots had going for them is that I had physically unclipped the internet cable, so the PC was, for the first time, fully offline.  On one of the reboots, I decided to run the REPAIR tool from Windows Repair Disk (well, actually, the disk was not in the drive, so it must have been on the hard drive somewhere).  The repair tool did what it did, then rebooted.  Upon reboot, I saw ...  MY DESKTOP!  :-)   I ran Security Essentials... no virus.  I ran CCleaner... lots of stuff to remove, but I don't know if any of it was the offending files.  Maybe, as I have CCleaner empty all temporary files, windows, internet, or otherwise.  The only hitch is...  now my PC's reboot time is like 5 minutes!  ouch!  Outside of that, all seems well. 

I don't know that I trust this seemingly 'fixed' state.  It was an accident.  And there are no bad files?  There WERE bad files!  I wonder where they suddenly went!  Also, this super-long reboot time is NOT OK.

Edited by bigtrav, 25 March 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#3 bigtrav

bigtrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

And, another quick report. 

Once the system seemed stable and I did a few dry reboots, I noticed error messages.  They told me that DirectX9 had not updated correctly or something and that I should ensure that my video drivers were up to date.  I have not done this yet. I will do that tomorrow.  What I have done, though, is a System Restore.  The restore point was only three days ago, but that was before the virus, so if the System Restore was going to work, that should do it.  It seems that nothing beneficial came of the restore.  It still takes more then 4 minutes to reboot the PC and DirectX9 and video drivers need updating.

I will run a deep scan over night as well.

If anyone knows what happened to make the OS reboot so slowly, that seems to be all I need to know... unless of course, someone here knows much more than I do about this problem (which is why I am typing here in the first place).

Thanx!

#4 bigtrav

bigtrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hey wait!  Microsoft Security Essentials didn't load in automatically!  What??? ... and the problem with DirectX and the video drivers was actually an error message related to the program FRAPS. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both MSE and FRAPS.

Edited by bigtrav, 25 March 2013 - 08:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users