Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network drives not reconnecting at startup.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

Hi there.  I have a simple 3-computer network setup in my home.  All 3 are XP Pro.  I have the "\All Users\Documents\" folders as the shared, mapped drive folders. Everything works great until I reboot.  They become disconnected.  I fixed it for one computer with a run command, but now I can't find it again on the web for the other two computers.  Anyone know this command?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jithu320

jithu320

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Hi There.!

Try this...

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type cmd.
  3. Type net use x: \\computer name\share name, where x: is the drive letter you want to assign to the shared resource.

#3 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

Thank you for the reply.  What would the "sharename" be?  The name of the shared folder in Explorer?

#4 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

That is correct. For example if you wanted to connect drive W: to a file share named SharedFolder folder on a PC named xyz you would type:

net use w: \\xyz\SharedFolder

#5 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thank you!  It worked!  Will I need to do this for the other mapped directories, too?  For example, will I need to run that command for the directories of the other computers on the network, from the same computer? Or do I only run the command from the host computer for its own shared directory?  I hope I'm asking this question correctly.

#6 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Unfortunately, you will need to run that command for each share you want to be tied to a drive letter, on each computer you want that share to be accessed from. You could write a batch file to make things simpler.

You can type up all your shares once using notepad, and save the file as something like shares.bat, then put it on a flash drive and just double click on the shares.bat file on each computer.

Example:

net use t: \\Comp1\Share1
net use u: \\Comp1\Share2
net use v: \\Comp2\Share1

This way you can have multiple computers (Comp1 and Comp2) and shares on each computer (Share1 and Share2 for the respective computers) and all of your computers will match the drive schema.

Edited by Sunnovah, 25 March 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#7 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thank you again.  There is one part I'm not understanding though: the "Share1" and "Share2" thing.  Each computer only has one shared folder.  I'm confused.

#8 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

That was just to demonstrate that you could have multiple shared folders per computer and still use the command. If you only have one share per computer you don't need to worry about it. It comes in handy in a corporate environment though. :P

#9 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

What if I were to add those commands to the AutoExec.bat file, then have that file parsed automatically at startup?  That file is "empty" right now.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I don't believe XP uses the autoexec.bat file, but I could be wrong.  See http://www.itlisting.org/3-windows-xp/398403eb571043a3.aspx .

Louis

#11 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

You could always just put the batch file you made in the startup folder. Then it will auto run. However, if you do this you will want to make sure you delete drive before reconnecting it. You can add this command at the start of your batch file. 

net use /d * /y

That will delete all shared drives. It may also delete shared printers.

If you want to make the network drives persistent, so they are present after reboots, you just have to append the mappings with an /p:y. Here is an example of that.

net use w: \\xyz\SharedFolder /p:y

With that, you should not need to run the batch file every time you reboot.

Edited by Sunnovah, 27 March 2013 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users