Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water Damage to a Alienware Aurora R4

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alex70031

alex70031

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thank you for your help in advance.

I recently bought this computer (yes I should've built my own but I just didn't feel like I could do it, also this computer came in monday and I haven't even made the first payment yet which is why I seem so desperate/stressed) I went for a glass of water and tipped it over (not much was left in the glass maybe a fourth of the glass and not much even got out [if I had to guess I would say 2-4 fl oz]) but some leaked into the top of my tower while it was running and trickled down into the systems, the computer froze and I unplugged it immediately. I took it apart and removed all of the components I knew how to (the memory, hard drives, and the graphics card) I have them laying on a towel and a fan pointing at them to help them dry, I checked the capacitors to see if they were shorted out and to my knowledge they didn't look shorted out (please tell me if you want a picture of the motherboard and I will supply) I took a hair dryer and proceeded to attempt to dry the inside(I held down the cool function so it only blew room temperature air and not heated air) and now I am letting a fan dry the mother board and other components as well.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated and also some answers

1.) if I did short something out would their be a way to repair it(specifically the mother board as that's what I'm most concerned about since I have read that if I short that out I'm screwed) I'm not a master at computers but I can get by with what I know if it comes to repairs.

2.) approximately how long should I let it dry, not much water got in but I want to be at my best conditions when turning it back on again

3.) I have it laying upside down against my dresser with the side pannel off and a fan blowing at it (is this ok or should I lay it down)

answers to future questions

1.) no electrical sounds came out at the moment of the disaster

2.) there are no burning smells/burn marks anywhere on the computer/components that I can see.

Picture of the motherboard (I think) if you need pictures of theothers pleas tell me and let me know thank you.

Motherboard: http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2001/photoon32413at922pm2.jpg

Edited by alex70031, 24 March 2013 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi alex,
Good thing is that you didnt heard any electrical sounds or shorting sounds from your computer. I hope that your motherboard might be okay (i ve experience of water spillage over mother board,but it worked fine after a week of drying). Thing that worries me is the freezing of your computer.

For the moment let it dry for a week (to be on safer side) and try to switch on with essential components only.

To answer your questions.
1.servicing depends on the extend of damage caused to the mother board.

2. 2-3 days will be good. But for safer side leave it for a week.

3. Any thing is fine.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Chris
Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users