Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Problems with clean install of Windows 8 Pro x64 on my new build.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 denimchicken

denimchicken

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I recently downloaded Windows 8 x64 using Microsoft Dreamspark for Acedemic Institutions, which provides free software to technology students. I followed the installation instructions on the Dreamspark website and created a DVD image using the program that they recommended called Active@ISO Burner, but each time I try to install it on my new PC build, I get an error after the Windows logo shows. 

The error is usually one of a variety of errors. I get the BSOD and it says the following:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
Error code: 0xc0000098

you'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), 
contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings

Sometimes the error will say there are registry files that are corrupt or missing, or something like that.
Here are my hardware peripherals, just in case.

Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition @3.6 GHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 9750HD
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu (4 x 2 GB)
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB
CD/DVD Drive: ASUS 24x DVD Burner SATA Model DRW - 24B1ST

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't understand what the problem is, as I am attempting a clean install on a brand new PC build. I have eliminated the possibility of it being a corrupt download by re-downloading the file and creating a new disk. I have ran Seagate Seatools to check my Hard Drive, and it passed the test. No one on the Microsoft forums or on any other forum I have posted to seems to be able to help me. My frustration is building because I am anxious to get my PC up and running so I can start gaming on it. It has been just sitting here for over a week now. It would be so clutch if someone helped me figure this out. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi, I suggest a memory Test as bad memory can cause this issue.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Do not install the optional Software (Toolbar) unless You really want it.
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

p4393897.gif

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

p4393911.gif

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

main_menu.jpg

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

testarea_cu.jpg

The following image is the test results area:

errorkd.jpg

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 March 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 denimchicken

denimchicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Turns out one of the RAM sticks were in fact bad. I didn't even consider this a possibility because the BIOS recognized all 4 sticks. Thanks a lot! I suppose that should have been one of the first things I checked.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hi

I'm glad the fix was so easy.

Sad to say I'm seeing more and more unreliable RAM out there. It makes me wonder if they even do any testing or do they leave it to the customer to be the final QC inspector.

Thank You for reporting back on the solution

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users