Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shorted sound card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Manhands

Mr. Manhands

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

I could use a bit of advice trouble shooting my wife's laptop.  A few nights ago, she received a shock through her ear-buds connected to her laptop, after which the sound stopped working.  She rebooted the computer and everything seemed to work fine again, until today when the sound crapped out once more.  I am 100% positive that nothing is muted, have rebooted the laptop twice, and re-installed the audio driver with no luck.  The speakers produce no sound, while the audio jack produces a buzzing through headphones.  Is there anything else I can do, or should I assume that the sound card is fried?  The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655 running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Considering that there's no voltage on the laptop capable of delivering such an electric shock, I think the most likely cause of this would be a heavy discharge of static electricity. That would be unpleasant indeed to an ear, I hope it never happens to me. Static discharge can also degrade (damage without immediately destroying) electronic devices like the integrated circuit that provides the sound output. So that could explain why it stopped, came good then stopped again. Is there any way you can borrow the use of an external USB sound device to see if that is happy to work on the laptop? If external sound works but the internal can't be persuaded to, then it's a fair bet the internal has failed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Mr. Manhands

Mr. Manhands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Considering that there's no voltage on the laptop capable of delivering such an electric shock, I think the most likely cause of this would be a heavy discharge of static electricity. That would be unpleasant indeed to an ear, I hope it never happens to me. Static discharge can also degrade (damage without immediately destroying) electronic devices like the integrated circuit that provides the sound output. So that could explain why it stopped, came good then stopped again. Is there any way you can borrow the use of an external USB sound device to see if that is happy to work on the laptop? If external sound works but the internal can't be persuaded to, then it's a fair bet the internal has failed.

A usb sound card was my next step.  My wife watches all of her tv on the laptop, so she' not gonna abide going without sound for long.  I just wanted to get the opinions of some more knowledgeable folk before I forked over the cash.  Thanks for weighing in, Platypus.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

No worries. Just as an additional thought with static electric charge, and using the computer for TV...

If used in a "comfortable" environment such as bed or chair, large fabric items like bedcovers or robes can when moved build up a static charge on the person and eventually discharge to the laptop. For example wearing a synthetic bathrobe and sitting up after lying on a blanket could do it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users