Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop randomly restarts

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Not sure if this is the right category to put this under, but anyway, my Windows 7 laptop (Acer) keeps restarting and I'm not sure why. There's no virus, spyware or adware causing it.

I thought it was when I moved it in a certain way that maybe something inside was moving/disconnecting, but it restarted earlier and I wasn't moving it at all. Previously it has gone off when I've tipped it slightly sideways, although it doesn't happen everytime it's moved.

I also thought it might be overheating, but it's not really felt that hot most of the time and if that is the case I'd expect it to go off far more often. I've been plugging in a cooling pad so it cools it down, although I don't keep it on all the time.

Each time it restarts I find that when I open up Internet Explorer it has signed me out of everything. I sign back in, but at random points it signs me back out again for no reason. My Firefox browser is unaffected by the restart so not sure why IE goes weird.

Not sure what else could be causing it and why it is affecting logins on one browser. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Not a Windows issue if one browser works fine, unless it's an issue impacting IE.

Have you tried resetting IE to default settings?

.How to reset Internet Explorer settings - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Any error messages when it reboots?

What makes you so sure that it's not a malware issue?

Louis

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Not a Windows issue if one browser works fine, unless it's an issue impacting IE.

Have you tried resetting IE to default settings?

.How to reset Internet Explorer settings - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Any error messages when it reboots?

What makes you so sure that it's not a malware issue?

Louis

I haven't tried doing anything with IE. I figured if it stopped restarting IE would be fine as IE works perfectly fine the rest of the time.

No error messages. It just suddenly restarts and upon restarting comes up with the safe mode/start windows normally screen.

I've done virus, malware and spyware scans and it hasn't found anything.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.  Do not copy/paste data from the report.

Louis

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.  Do not copy/paste data from the report.

Louis

Before I download that, what does doing that show? I mean, how does that information help?

And isn't easier just to type the specs rather than download a program?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Speccy will provide the complete hardware/software/drivers and temperature readings which is normally use here at BC. The information would help diagnose what is happening to your computer. Also, try disabling auto restart in Advance Boot Menu by tapping F8 on early bootup or see here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm If a bluescreen appeared during a system failure, post the complete error code and messages next time.

Tekken

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

I downloaded MiniToolBox and Speccy and ran them. However, the user name is my name and I don't want to post that online under this username. Is there anyway to edit it or post it differently for Speccy? Would a print screen of the summary page with the hardware and temperatures be enough?

MiniToolBox is showing a number of errors :/ I'll post the results later.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

No need to worry about any username profiles being shown as it is just normal for it to be part of the report in both Speccy and MiniToolBox. Please post them as instructed next time.

Tekken

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

I refuse on any site to state my real name under this username. I do not want any record of it online. The reports show my real name because that is my laptop username so I don't want to post the results as they are as they show my name.

My laptop just restarted and I ran speccy right away. It stated my CPU is about 60 and my motherboard is abut 70 degrees. I can't quite remember what it was yesterday, but it wasn't that high. It has cooled down a little since.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

You can edit the username if you save them by Text document for Speccy and MiniToolbox instead.

Tekken

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ah, i didn't notice the text option for Speccy. Thanks.

#12 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

The results for Speccy are too long - it won't post it :unsure:

#13 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Ok, as I had to edit it and the results are stupidly long I ended up creating a quick website for it. Annoyingly I still had to split the results up into 6 parts to get it to show up -_-

I put both sets of results on the site. You can find it here: http://resultspc.webs.com/

Sorry if it's not as easy to look through this way, but it was the only way I could think to do it...

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thank you for the link as there seems nothing wrong with the logs. One thing worth updating is the BIOS version http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers which is currently at 1.30 version. But that could be done at a later time if nothing resolves your issue.

Brand    Acer

Version                V1.05

Date      24/08/2010

Please try disabling auto restart on system failure (See post#6) and see if there will be any bluescreen message/error codes for any possible causes. Post the exact message on your next reply.

Tekken

#15 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I disabled auto restart days ago and have since used the laptop quite a bit. However, it has only just failed again. It restarted itself and did not come up with any message.

All it did was came up with the usual message of asking if I wanted to start in safe mode or normal mode which it has come up with everytime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users