Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counter-strike: Source Computer Noises....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

Here's the deal. A while back, when i first got CS:S for my factory box, my computer would ALWAYS get a lot noisier when running the game. I assumed this was due to the increase in stress on the video card/processor/ram, and that the fans would kick into overdrive or something (not fully aware of what goes on hardware-wise). Everything ran fine, no problems, just a little noisy (loud WHIIIIIRRRRRRRRRR'ing sounds).

However, just recently, it's stopped making that sound SOMETIMES when i play. My hardware volume will stay the same regardless of what maps i play, or how long i play CS:S. I didn't change the settings at all, and all my hardware is the same as it was back in the days of loud noises. What really confuses me is the fact that sometime it still WILL make the sounds, and sometimes it won't. So far, i haven't found anything that will consistently produce/eliminate the sounds of stress from my box, so it seems completely random...

What's going on here?

BTW: my CS:S name is WOLFPACK -- Heretic (wolfpack is in fancy, character-map letters) in case any of you run into me online...

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 05 April 2006 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:35 AM

the loud noise might be the fans amping up, as you suspected, when the comp goes under heavy load. you should try something else that stresses the comp, like a benchmark, to see if that is your issue. 3Dmark is free to try if you are curious. The sound might go away when the room is cooler and the box doesnt heat up as much, but that is a guess.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, my graphics cards fan usually speed up and start making noise when it gets hot. Could also be dirt or something causing extra noise. Cleaning is a good idea.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users