Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JrSadFish

JrSadFish

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

My new motherboard is a Biostar Hi-Fi A85W. I bought it with an AMD A10 5800K 3.8GHz bundle on Newegg. I'm using a 430 watt Thermaltake PSU to power everything. My current build features an AMD Radeon HD 6870, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks, 2 hard drives (1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB & Wester Digital 250GB) , and the case is an Azza Toledo 301. The first time I tried to turn it on, everything worked, fans and all. I kept it on for about 5 minutes then turned it off to place everything into my case. When I placed it into the case, plugged everything in, and screwed in all the necessary screws then tried to power it up, nothing would budge. A little red light is on underneath what seems to be my sound card, but that's the only light on. Pressing the power button on the MB doesn't do anything either. I asked around and the general problem seems to be the wattage of my PSU being too low. I'm not sure if that's the main culprit, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Yes, insufficient power can cause symptoms like this. That's easy enough to check for, simply disconnect all your drives and try again.

Am I to understand you connected all the components to test them first before you put them in the case? If this is what happened, I would look closely at the motherboard mounting. You should have received both brass and nylon mounts with the case. If you install a brass standoff where a nylon one should go, you can short the motherboard to the case. The brass ones go on the holes that have a ring of track or solder around them. If there's just a hole, use nylon.

#3 JrSadFish

JrSadFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yes, insufficient power can cause symptoms like this. That's easy enough to check for, simply disconnect all your drives and try again.

Am I to understand you connected all the components to test them first before you put them in the case? If this is what happened, I would look closely at the motherboard mounting. You should have received both brass and nylon mounts with the case. If you install a brass standoff where a nylon one should go, you can short the motherboard to the case. The brass ones go on the holes that have a ring of track or solder around them. If there's just a hole, use nylon.

I disconnected everything outside the case and hooked it all up on a wooden table and it still wouldn't budge. The case did not come with any brass or nylon standoffs, I just attached the motherboard to the case on the raised screw inserts. If this caused my motherboard to short, is it permanently damaging to the motherboard itself? Or is there some way to "kick start" it without the on-board power switch?

#4 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure I understand. Outside the case does it start with the onboard power switch?

#5 JrSadFish

JrSadFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm not sure I understand. Outside the case does it start with the onboard power switch?

It does not start, no. It's very strange because there's a little red light underneath my sound card that's constantly on. 

#6 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Reset the bios. To do this move the jumper near the battery for 5 seconds with power disconnected. Then put it back where it was. If this doesn't fix the problem, return the board under warranty.

#7 JrSadFish

JrSadFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Reset the bios. To do this move the jumper near the battery for 5 seconds with power disconnected. Then put it back where it was. If this doesn't fix the problem, return the board under warranty.

I did actually try that, it didn't work either. I guess I'll just get a new motherboard. Thank you very much for your help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users