Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intel B950 with 8Gb RAM or Core i5-2410M with 6Gb RAM?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi, I am between two laptops at the moment. The first is a Lenovo with intel B950 (2.1Ghz) & 8Gb RAM and the other a Samsung with Core i5-2410M (2.3Ghz) & 6Gb RAM. Though at comparison the i5 ranks better than the B950, I don't know if the RAM difference would make Lenovo faster.

I don't play games, but I have the laptop on for 15 to 18 hours daily, I watch a lot of movies, listen to a lot of music, download and surf for the most part of those hours and generally I run many processes simultaneusly. I also work video editing software like Sony Vegas and Pinnacle. I am looking for the fastest solution and at the same time something that would hopefully last longer, coz with all these activities for all these hours I don't suppose anything at this budget (£300) will any way last for very long. :)

Please be as simple as possible coz I am not familiar with the particular jargon. Thanks a lot.

B950 Passmark 1800 - Rank 687

Core i5-2410M Passmark 3169 - Rank 397

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi, To me it is a no brainer, Go with the performance of the I5. All else excluding Memory being equal.

The most memory I have in any Windows 7 computer is this one I'm on and it has 6Gb of RAM. I'm using 1.90 Gb of RAM right now and that is with Firefox and Thunderbird (Email) and Freemake Video Converter converting a video in the background. It is easy to change Memory, It is not easy in a laptop to change the CPU.

If you post the model numbers or Links it would be easier to give accurate advice.

Since You have the Laptop on so many hours a day, Read the user reviews looking for anything as regards heat output.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hello Ket,

If it was me buying a new laptop I would go with the i5 hands-down. 

From what you have listed that you do with the laptop I believe the 6GB of RAM will be more than plenty. When it comes to Video Rendering (Vegas Pro) you will need the processing power that the i5 can deliver. I know that with my computer at home I have 16GB of RAM but even with the 20 different things I have going on I rarely utilize over 4GB. Even when playing games.

The other thing to look at is you can probably upgrade the RAM at a later date if need be... If you can provide me with the model number of the Samsung Laptop I can look up the specs on it and let you know how much RAM it can hold.  

#4 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

The other thing to look at is you can probably upgrade the RAM at a later date if need be... If you can provide me with the model number of the Samsung Laptop I can look up the specs on it and let you know how much RAM it can hold.  

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/essential/NP3530EC-A0DDX-spec

Thank you guys for your quick responses. You are being really helpful. Of course I am also looking at other models too, but I was not sure about speed over RAM. It's good to know that speed is the first factor even for 2.1versus 2.3Ghz

#5 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

You are more than welcome, that's what we are here for.

Well According to Crucial.com's Memory Advisor, this laptop can hold up to 16GB of RAM. You can view the results of my inquiry here and keep in mind that as technology moves forward, the price of that RAM will go down plus you may also find other places to purchase the RAM cheaper. For example, a quick search on Newegg.com returned results you can see by clicking here.

Hope that helps.

#6 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

You are more than welcome, that's what we are here for.

Well According to Crucial.com's Memory Advisor, this laptop can hold up to 16GB of RAM. You can view the results of my inquiry here and keep in mind that as technology moves forward, the price of that RAM will go down plus you may also find other places to purchase the RAM cheaper. For example, a quick search on Newegg.com returned results you can see by clicking here.

Hope that helps.

Great. Really appreciated. Without wanting to change the subject, but since we went to that direction, I'd like to ask if I have 4gb ram and want to upgrade to 8gb, do I have to buy another 4 or completely change it with an 8gb one? And again, if I have 6gb can I get another 2gb to make 8? I hope it's not a dumb question.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

The problem with that question is that Most laptops have two memory slots. Thus the way they are populated by the manufacturer determines what you can do.

With 4Gb in a laptop you could have two 2Gb memories or one 4Gb memory. There is no single answer.

Thus in the first example You would have to remove 2Gb to add another one, Thus you would remove 2Gb and add 8Gb for a total of 10Gb. In the second example you could just add the new memory, So adding a 4Gb plus the original 4Gb would add up to 8Gb.

I hope that is clear enough.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

The problem with that question is that Most laptops have two memory slots. Thus the way they are populated by the manufacturer determines what you can do.

With 4Gb in a laptop you could have two 2Gb memories or one 4Gb memory. There is no single answer.

Thus in the first example You would have to remove 2Gb to add another one, Thus you would remove 2Gb and add 8Gb for a total of 10Gb. In the second example you could just add the new memory, So adding a 4Gb plus the original 4Gb would add up to 8Gb.

I hope that is clear enough.

Roger

Sure, clear enough. Thanks.

During my research, which as I said involves also other models than the ones mentioned, more questions arise. Like for example which processor is faster, one that is 2.1Ghz (clock speed) or one that is 1.6 (clock speed) but has 2.3 turbo frequency? I am specifically looking at this comparison, but I don't really understand it.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Clock speed is not that important. In this case I would tend to go by benchmarks..

For example a 2 Ghz 4 core processor will outperform a dual (2) core processor that has a higher clock speed in most cases.

Example a first Generation I7 will be outperformed by a 2nd generation I7 even when the clock speed is the same. This is due to improvements in how they process data.

For the same clock speed a I3 will be slowest followed by a I5 and fastest a I7 in the Intel line of CPUs.

Many factors go into it such as cache, FSB (Front Side Bus) and more. In general a Intel CPU will run cooler and use less power than a AMD.

In Your example "

TDP (Watt) 45

"

This would relate to battery life and how much heat it puts out.

Since it is a complex process, That is why I suggest looking at Benchmarks.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Sorry for the delay but I had a problem with my connection. I checked the passmark for the AMD and it has 2128 (rank 595). It marks better than the B950 (Passmark 1800 - Rank 687), but I want to avoid the heat. I'm not sure if speed difference is that much in this case. Still searching for a good combination. I hope you guys don't mind me asking for different models than the ones on the title of this thread, but the more I search the more I learn and the more I find! You're big help. Thanks.

#11 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Well, I finally bought a laptop! It's a refurbished Asus K55VD with 8GB Ram and processor i5 3210M 2.5GHz (3.1 Turbo). It's got 750GB Hard drive and I paid £350 which I think is a good deal. The passmark for the cpu is 3828 and it ranks 300. You guys have been of great help because when I started looking I didn't have a clue. Obviously there are another 299 CPUs that rank better but at this budget and with these specs I am more than happy. Refurbished can be an issue, but I hope in a revived computer strong as new.

Anyway, once more thanks a lot for your helpful suggestions. Looking forward to your feedback.

#12 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

You are very welcome. we are all glad we could help.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Good Luck with Your Purchase!

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users