Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External WD HD shows as RAW - Ran Testdisk but still unable to view in Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skyvvalker

skyvvalker

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Ok, so I connected my 1.5Gb external HD to my new Dell laptop (Win 8) to copy files to the laptop.  I started the copy process before bed (external drive working properly, files were visible), and when I woke up the next morning I was not able to see any files.  Did some research and determined the HD was set to RAW somehow. 

Anyway, I found this link: http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ and followed the instructions, creating a bootable USB flash drive with Parted Magic. Booted to the USB drive onto my older Dell laptop running Win7, and was able to run testdisk and view my files in parted magic.  Whew!  They were still there.  I then decided to copy my files (the ones I really wanted) to the HD on my laptop.  I rebooted into windows and confirmed the files are there and I can open them.

I then tried to use testdisk to fix the external drive, but I am not having any luck.  Since I was able to view my files, I chose write, to write a new partition, but it still isn't viewable in windows.  Also, since I don't boot to the drive, I tried to change it from * to P, but that didn't have any effect.  I have since put it back to *.  Also, I did the deep analysis which took all night and the only problem is the read error noted in the screen shot below (ran it again to get the screenshot hence the short % done). BTW, there were no other partitions found.  Here are some screenshots of what I am dealing with along with the SMARTCTL log file for the external drive in question.

I have been learning a little bit about HD's, boot sectors, etc during this whole process but am far from understanding how it all really works and how to fix my problem (if I even can).  For instance, I read that attribute 197 is an indicator of surface damage, and mine has a high raw value, so I'm wondering if the HD has physical damage that won't allow me to continue using it??

Help!!!

-Rick

1820425_orig.png

3359138_orig.png

1917656_orig.png

smartctl 6.0 2012-10-10 r3643 [i686-linux-3.7.9-pmagic] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-12, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Green

Device Model:     WDC WD15EADS-11P8B1

Serial Number:    WD-WMAVU2010932

LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 00206017b

Firmware Version: 80.00A80

User Capacity:    1,500,301,910,016 bytes [1.50 TB]

Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)

SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s

Local Time is:    Sun Mar 24 10:04:50 2013 UTC

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Warning: This result is based on an Attribute check.

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x85)    Offline data collection activity

was aborted by an interrupting command from host.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.

Self-test execution status:      ( 115)    The previous self-test completed having

the read element of the test failed.

Total time to complete Offline

data collection:           (32400) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities:               (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Suspend Offline collection upon new

command.

Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)    Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability:        (0x01)    Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time:  (   2) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time:  ( 370) minutes.

Conveyance self-test routine

recommended polling time:  (   5) minutes.

SCT capabilities:           (0x3031) SCT Status supported.

SCT Feature Control supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   204   180   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       4800

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       2728

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0

7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   094   094   000    Old_age   Always       -       4983

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       1151

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       10

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   193   193   000    Old_age   Always       -       21070

194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   109   101   000    Old_age   Always       -       41

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       148

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       136

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       144

SMART Error Log Version: 1

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       30%      4983         6150136

# 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       30%      4983         6150152

# 3  Short offline       Completed: read failure       30%      4970         6150136

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1

SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

1        0        0  Not_testing

2        0        0  Not_testing

3        0        0  Not_testing

4        0        0  Not_testing

5        0        0  Not_testing

Selective self-test flags (0x0):

After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.

If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi

It certainly looks like you've made a good analysis of the situation. If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the bad sectors is affecting the file system in a way that is preventing Windows from loading the proper drivers for it.

TestDisk is able to emulate what it thinks some of the values should be and that is probably what allows you to see the files from it. Windows, however, is strict about the values and if there is a bad sector in an important file system metadata file (like $MFT for example) then Windows won't try to guess or skip the proper value for it like TestDisk does.

You can try a repair with WD Data Lifeguard to see if it can force the bad sectors to be reallocated. Then it may see the drive properly in Windows at which point you'll need to run chkdsk in order to repair the file system. Make sure that you've gotten your important files backed up first (sounds like you have).

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&lang=en

Run the DOS version and make a boot disk like it describes in the instructions and run the EXTENDED TEST.

This has the best chance of reallocating those bad sectors, I don't think the Windows version will do that.

Let us know if you have any problems or questions.

James

EDIT: Just want to add that if you do fix it, keep an eye on those attributes to make sure that attribute 197 and attribute 5 are not continuing to increase. If they are then the drive is going bad and needs to be replaced. After running the Data Lifeguard repair 197 should have a RAW value of 0 and 5 should become 148 but they may be different. Just use that as a benchmark and check in the near future again to see if those values are continuing to change or are stable.

Edited by James Litten, 24 March 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#3 skyvvalker

skyvvalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for your response James!  Also, thank you for the input regarding attribute 197 and attribute 5.  Once I get this fixed, I will keep an eye on those values.

Ok, I made a DOS bootable USB drive and extracted the data lifteguard files onto it.  I then set my bios to boot to USB and rebooted my old laptop.  It quickly boots to the dos prompt (c:\ ) and I type dir to list the file names.  I then type in dlgdiag5.exe and accept the license agreement.  I choose select drive, but the only drive showing is my laptop's HD.  The external drive (connected via USB and powered via AC/DC adapter) doesn't show up in the list!  :-(

I rebooted into windows to make sure the drive was still showing connected there (even though I can't access it) and I can see it.  I then rebooted to dos and only the laptop HD shows (as before).  Now what?

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'm sorry. I saw the report saying it was a Western Digital Caviar Green and forgot that it was external (I use those internally on one of my computers).

You can try the Windows version of WD LifeGuard and see if it has the repair option in the Extended Test. That should see the external drive.

I'll see if there is another option and let you know. Let us know if the Windows version works.

James

#5 skyvvalker

skyvvalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hi James,

I ran the windows version of LG and the extended test failed due to too many bad sectors.  I ran it 3 times with the same result. :-(

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WD Ext HDD 1021
Unit Serial Number: WMAVU2010932
Firmware Number: 2002
Capacity: 1500.30 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 19:53:15, March 25, 2013

Test Time: 21:09:35, March 25, 2013

Test Time: 21:32:42, March 25, 2013

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

If the drive is still covered by warranty it may be possible to get it replaced.

The DOS version of Data LifeGuard will attempt to force a write operation on those bad sectors. Usually that makes the disk acknowledge that they are permanently bad and subsequently reallocate them and use new sectors from a reserve pool maintained on the hard drive. Looks like the Windows version does not do this and the BIOS detection of the drive does not seem to be enough for your computer to see the external drive from the DOS version :(

You can try the WRITE ZEROS option and choose FULL ERASE.

THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA FROM THE DRIVE

but it will probably force reallocation of the bad sectors if there aren't too many. If there are too many, you will start to get SMART failure errors.

Afterwards, you'll have to go into Disk Management in Windows and initialize the drive, add a new partition and format it.

Wish I had a better fix for you

James

#7 skyvvalker

skyvvalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

I wonder if I connect the drive to an old desktop that I don't use anymore, if it would show up so I could run the DOS version of lifeguard?  I might try that.

Otherwise, I will wait until my crashplan backup has fully restored my data to my new laptop (400GB is taking forever at 2-3Mbps!), before I do the write zero option with the win version.

Also, I'm beginning to think that maybe I shouldn't even be bothering with this Ext. HD, even if I am able to get windows to recognize it again.  Is is really going to be very reliable going forward?

BTW, I checked and the drive's warranty expired in 2011.  I also read that these green drives do have a short warranty, and that blue or black drives are better and have longer warranties.  Do you have any buying advice for future Ext. HD purchases?  :-)

Thanks for all your help James!

-Rick

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi Rick

I would not trust that drive with anything important. However, it is my experience that a hard drive showing what yours shows in the SMART report is often able to be reallocated and used successfully.

Without getting into the lengthy details, suffice it to say that it shows the signs of a single incident that caused a group of bad sectors to appear that probably will not spread if they can be reallocated. I have several drives like it which I only use for testing risky repair procedures but do not use for anything important even though the ones that I have never got any worse after reallocating the bad sectors.

For external drive purchases, they are all pretty much okay. What I don't like is pre-existing software or built-in encryption that is turned on even if you do not want it. These things can make a recovery very difficult or can even 'phone home' and connect to the manufacturers servers silently without you knowing for things like updates and reporting usage statistics. When I get a new drive, I usually remove all partitions, make a new one (or more) and then 'full format' them. I often do this in Windows Disk Management.

Hope this helps

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users