Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scriptorex

scriptorex

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hi,
I want to build my first pc, I have an old pc that stopped working after a lightning strike that has been laying around for two or three years. I would like to use the case, dvd drive and perhaps the hard drive from it to save some cash, it is a compaq sr1630nx.
Since this will be my first build, I have a few questions;
What should I know about the fact that a lightning storm ruined this pc? Will the case be ok to use? Hard drive?
How do I know whether I should get a micro or regular atx board, I plan on using an fx 6100 or maybe a 4100, further, how do I know if the cables from the case will fit the motherboard, I am thinking of getting a cheap 880 board or possibly a 760. here's a pic of the cables;
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps322f7d08.jpg
How do I know if the hard drive will work? I have read that windows from one motherboard will not work on another

I am also intrested in overclocking for the first time, but i am not sure I should bother due toi turbo, a 6100 is 3.4 and turboes to 3.9, I want to OK with just the multiplier, does it make any sense to do so, say OK to a safe 4.2 or so?

P.S. here's a link to the motherboard from the old pc; http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1122478

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

To hopefully prevent a lightning storm from damaging your computer, you should turn it off before the storm start and have a power surge protector. You could reuse your case but i would have a look at the front panel connectors to see if they are the standard type. The one in the picture is showing the front panel USB connectors which should be compatible with the new motherboard. Based from the information on the system, it uses a micro-atx form factor, so it's best to use micro-atx. Chances are that the lightning storm probably killed the hard drive, it's best to get a new hard drive.  Overclocking the CPU from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz will produce a lot of heat and you may need to increase the voltage to stabilse it which would further create more heat.  

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Pandaros

Pandaros

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

By "stopped working", do you mean stone dead? Usually, lightning will enter through the power cord and blow out the primary side of the power supply. The rest of the stuff could still be good. I would beg or borrow a power supply and stick it in there for a test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users