Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Delete 'currupt' File From Sd Card! Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unwanted

unwanted

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Posted Image

I cant delete these 2 from the SD card...everything else goes and the content is gone but icon delets then is there when i reinsert.
If i try to open it says it cannot open file.

The computer said at one stage it was a corrupt file....

Ps. What causes files to become corrupt?

Edited by unwanted, 05 April 2006 - 10:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unwanted

unwanted
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:33 AM

Sorry about the massive graphic!!

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:14 PM

Make sure that you're on an account on windows that has administrative rights. If you're using a guest or secondary account, then you may not have "permissions" to delete certain things. Chances are this is not the case, but worth checking out.

Believe it or not, these cards have a lifecycle, much like a floppy disc or a jazz tape or even a cdrw. The become corrupt sooner or later due to the data being written, moved and deleted on and off the card itself. I've seen new cards die within a few months. I've also seen cards last for nearly 4 years. It's just the nature of the beast.

As far as deleting the files on it, you can remove everything that you need on it (make back up files) then try formatting the card. I've seen this work maybe 8 out of 10 times. I've also seen where it has formatted everything but the bad sectors of the card, and was still able to use the card (although I don't reccomend this because I've lost data that way!).

By reformatting the card, it will delete everything on it. If the card is corrupted beyond what reformatting can fix, then you'll have to replace the card.

If your camera (assuming that the SD card goes to a camera) has an option to format a SD card, then let the camera do it rather than having windows do it. If the SD card goes to an MP3 player or cell phone, try the same (let the hardware format the card). If not, than let windows format it, and try it in the camera (or whatever) again. If when you stick it in the camera (or whatever) and it says that the card is not formatted, would you like to format it now? Don't worry, say yes and let the camera (or whatever) reformat it again.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 unwanted

unwanted
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:59 AM

You Legend!

Thanks alot!

I was using the sd card with a USB adaptor as a temp flash drive, I followed ur instrusctions and the camera fixed it! Great!
I got a proper USB flash now so wont be botherin the SD anymore.!

Again thanks alot!

God bless America!!

Sleepydog er um , i mean unwanted.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:23 AM

LOL! No problem at all! Glad I could help SleepyDog.....I mean unwanted!!!!!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users