Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't clone HDD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have tried to clone a HDD to a new one and neither Ghost or Acronis will finish the job.  Ghost gets to 98% and just stays there for hours.  Acronis gets to 75% and says error on sector ....  The HDD that I am cloning is a 1.5GB going to a 2GB WD Black.  All the info on the older HDD is there and works fine but there must be some type of error that won't let me finish.  I have done a check disk  already too.  Anyone ever experienced this?  What can I do? 

Edited by ingeborgdot, 24 March 2013 - 09:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi

What way did you run chkdsk? /F or /R? Did it report anything?

Have You run the Makers Diagnostics on the Source Drive and the Destination Drive?

What make & model for the source drive?

This page has links for the Windows or DOS version of the Western Digital Data Lifeguard diagnostics.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=2&lang=en

Run the Short and the Long tests.

You could have a bad sector on either drive.

FYI I once had to run Ghost for over a week to copy from a really bad drive.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I used a free one called Macrium Reflect and it worked perfectly without a hitch.  It's too bad that a free program can out perform ones that are supposed to be the top ones.  No more acronis or ghost for me.  Macrium Reflect is what I am using from now on.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hi, If it were my drive I would want to know why they stalled.

I have had really good success with Ghost Cloning bad drives. I could clone a bad drive that would not boot to a good drive and when I was done it would boot 8 out of 10 cases.

I had good luck with Acronis too. Sometimes there was something in the hardware Ghost didn't like and for that Acronis would do the Job.

However I am glad to hear You succeeded.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 March 2013 - 01:20 PM.
Danged SpellChecker function

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users