Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external drive showing as invalid dynamic drive after Win8 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jurgita

jurgita

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hello
I have recently upgraded from vista 32bit to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. 
All my important data was stored on Icybox External Drive enclosure in RAID mode (fully working before the upgrade). 

Since the upgrade it is not showing up under "My computer", and then I go to disk management it is showing as an invalid Dynamic drive. I spent about 18 hours in various forums searching for solution, tried everything suggested, nothing worked.

I need the data that is on the ICYBOX and cannot convert it to basic disk until I get the data off.

The commercial software recommended did not work either.

Loosing my will to live!

Anyone has any suggestions please?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi

An Icybox can be configured lots of different ways. Can you give us more details.

How many drives?

What manufacturer/model are the drives?

What model Icybox?

How is the Icybox attached (USB 2.0, 3.0, SATA, ESATA, FireWire...)?

What RAID level ?

and any other details about how you are using it.

James

#3 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi James

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Icybox IB-RD3264-USE2 4-Bay Raid-System with 4 of Hitachi 2TB (3,5') HDS723020BLA642 64MB S-ATA3 drives, connected to the computer via Firewire (tried USB since the problem, doesn't work either).

It is set up in RAID 1+0.

http://www.raidsonic.de/data/allgemeine_downloads/manuals_pdf/IB-RD3264plusUSE2/Quick_Start_ib-rd3264plusUSE2_support.pdf

I am sure there is no issue with the Icybox itself, it's the Windows 8.

How can I make it see dynamic drive?

I am currently running a data recovery software (EaseUS Data Recovery) to see if I can shift the data to the other external drive.

It's been nearly 48 hours and only showing 50%. I have about 1,000,000 photography files on the icybox, really cannot loose any of them.

on days like this I really wish I was on Mac!

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the answers.

Hardware based RAID 10 or 1+0 on Windows 8 is new territory for me so this suggestion is not based on experience.

If I had that, I'd see if there was another computer on the network that the Windows 8 box is on that is running a different OS like Win7 or something else like Linux or OS X (if they are compatible with that Icybox as I think some older versions of OS X may not be).

If the other OS sees it like Windows 7 saw it before you upgraded to Win8, then I'd map a network share to it on the Windows 8 computer and I think this may work.

Have you tried connecting it to another computer running something other than Win8 to see if it works?

If you have made any drastic changes to the drives trying to fix this (like manually editing the MBR) can you reverse those changes before checking on another OS?

James

#5 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi James

Thank you for your reply once again.

Unfortunately this is the only computer I own.

However, I have a work laptop with Vista, tried connecting the icybox to it, it does not get picked up in plug&play mode and I don't have the admin rights to the disk management as this is disabled by the IT.

My husband's work laptop is on Win7, he said he'd bring it home tomorrow but he thinks he won't have the rights either as most corporate computers disable this function.

If data recovery is not a success I'll start calling friends to see if anyone have a computer with an older windows version.

If I manage to recover the data with the recovery software and get it onto another external drive for the time being, what do I do with the icybox? is it redundant now or should I convert it to the basic disk? I know the data will be wiped this way, but can I put it back on afterwards? and what would happen to RAID functionality? would I just have a 8tb drive and no data mirrored?

I am totally lost on this now.

Thank you for your help again.

J.

#6 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

I found in one of the forums that dynamic disks were only supported by older Windows versions only if they were ultimate/enterprise editions, not home edition.

Windows 8 comes in standard or Pro edition (i have Pro).

Does it mean that windows 8 will never be able to see the dynamic disk? What were Microsoft thinking?

I cannot be alone on this issue.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi

I think the problem you are having could be an incompatibility with Windows 8 as you suspect so hooking it to another computer will help establish that as a likely possibility.

If it can't understand the RAID array coming from the Icybox's hardware, it makes sense that it would see a mixed up dynamic disk and not find any volumes to mount (not show up in "My computer")

Have you tried contacting their tech support or do you have any documentation for it that specifically says whether or not it can be used with Windows 8?

James

#8 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks James, I emailed Raidsonic/Icybox and although they are a German company their customer service isn't great.

I used to wait for an email reply 2-3 weeks in the past so we shall see this time.

this is my first ever issue not being able to access data. 

#9 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

just double checked, raid mode is 0+1,not that it makes any difference...

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

That's good. It means that you have two identical RAID 0 arrays so worst case, you can probably use either pair as a straight RAID 0 array and access them that way if the incompatibility is with Windows 8 and RAID 01.

Raidsonic/Icybox will have to tell you how to do that if you do not have a manual already that explains it.

James

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Windows 8 Has no problem with Raid setups,  I have a LSI 9650se 4lpml on my Home computer practicing Raid setups for Server 2012 so far It has recognized all Raid configurations and operations. It may be a driver problem with Windows 8 not recognizing the raid setup.

Edit: It also works with AMD SB850 and Intel Raid controllers. When you updated to Windows 8 X64 did you install the ALL the 64bit drivers for your system from Each manufactures Support Site?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hello Sneakycyber

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't manually installed any 64bit drivers, but ran some driver check up utility today and it informed that the following drivers are out of date:

-Mobile Intel® PM965/GM965/GL960/GS965 Express Processor to DRAM Controller - 2A00
   -Intel® ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E
   -Intel® ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 2843
   -Intel® ICH8M LPC Interface Controller - 2815
   -Intel® ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 2845
   -Mobile Intel® PM965/GM965/GL960/GS965 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01
   -Intel® ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 283F
   -Intel® ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 2841
   -Standard SATA AHCI Controller
   -Intel® ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
   -Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835

Could this be the issue?
thank you

#13 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

quick question about drivers:

I went to my laptop manufacturers website (Acer) and they said that my computer only supports Win XP or Win Vista (it's 3 years old), and the drivers available for download are for vista  and xp only.

I also looked on icybox website, the model I own had a firmware update July 2012, I downloaded it and tried to run but get an error message "hardware not detected".

I am going to sound like a complete dinosaur, but I am doing this correctly?

How do I update the drivers? and which ones need updating (all in the list above or anything else)?

In device manager all looks OK, there are no error warnings or yellow exclamation marks anywhere.

thank you

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop`?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 jurgita

jurgita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

managed to update 29 drivers using Driver Pack solutions software (http://drp.su/download.htm)

Laptop is Acer Aspire 9920g

This did not make any difference to being able to access the icybox, still showing as invalid dynamic drive.

Running Testdisk at the moment (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)

The data recovery software found 700,000 photos on the icybox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users