Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 745 won't recognize new DVD burner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hi again.

I have a donated Dell OptiPlex 745 that came with XP and 1 gig of Ram. I've been playing around with it and have installed Win 7, added 512mb of Ram and removed the old DVD rom and installed an HP DVD burner from an old Laptop I had for parts. This OptiPlex has a Laptop type DVD that installs in a holder before installing in case.

I checked all the plugs and connections and all are ok.

When I start Windows I get 2 beeps and a message telling me "Drive 1 not found" serial ata, sata-1

F1 to continue or F2 to run setup utility.

The DVD will power up and open the door if I press the door button. In windows explorer it shows I have a CD drive. If I right click and press "eject" I get a popup saying "an error has occurred while ejecting CD drive F"

In Device Manager it does not show a DVD/CD Rom drive option so I can't check for drivers.

It's like the power is ok at the drive but the Communication isn't there. Is there something else I can check? I tried Windows support several times and nothing there has worked.

Thanks for any help...

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

What information is shown regarding the DVD drive in BIOS setup? Is this a SATA optical drive with IDE or SATA hard drive for windows?

Tekken

#3 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Shows nothing installed (not present) in the bios. Onboard SATA hard drive is the only drive present.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Can you try removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and see if the computer will detect the optical drive next time? The BIOS would reconfigure the default settings also known as a hardware reset.

Edited by jhayz, 25 March 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Tekken

#5 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hey jhayz... I tried your suggestion and rebooted computer. Got a couple messages...

- performing auto IDE config

- Drive 0- disk drive

- floppy seek fail

- time of day

- invalid config info- run set-up

-Alert- previous fan fail

-Alert- previous fan or pump fail

-Alert- system battery voltage low.

Changed out the CMOS battery and rebooted into set up. Reset everything but still didn't see any recognition of an optical drive.

Rebooted and still had to press F1 to continue because of warning... "Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-1

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm not sure of the compatibility of your HP optical drive to the Optiplex desktop but since its a Dell computer, this is worth a look http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/18820923.aspx

Tekken

#7 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Tried this and still no optical drive present. I'm starting to think I need to try another DVD burner or reinstall the original DVD ROM. I think I'm running out of options.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Might as well try another optical drive first to check if its being recognized properly. Good Luck.

Tekken

#9 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thank you jhayz... I'll check back when I find anything out.

Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users