Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple Unveils Official Support For Booting Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Arstechnica.com

Apple has announced a public beta of an application they call Boot Camp that allows owners of their Intel Macs to easily install a copy of Windows XP. Previously the domain of hackery and jiggery-pokery, Apple has officially sanctioned the installation of Windows onto their hardware. The application is in public beta and allows users to install legitimate full copies of Windows XP Home or Professional (not MCE, multi-disc, or upgrade copies). While not the virtualization that some had been hoping for (running Windows apps on top of OS X), this, at least, uncomplicates the current process.

Last month a team of hackers known only by the names of Narf and Blanka successfully won a user-run contest that offered up US$13,000 for the first person who could sucessfully manipulate Windows XP and Apple's new Intel hardware so that users could install the former onto the later. While the contest was technically "won," the process was probably far too complicated for the average user, and even required that the user have access to a PC (kinda defeats some of the point, right?). Apple's new process seems to be as easy as you'd expect, complete with a nice "Boot Camp Assistant" to walk you through the entire process.

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 05 April 2006 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

Apple stock ptice has risen nearly $10.00 on this news .. .. AAPL .. Nasdaq
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

While not the virtualization that some had been hoping for (running Windows apps on top of OS X), this, at least, uncomplicates the current process.

No need to hope any longer, there's a new kid on the block. :thumbsup:
Parallels, The First Virtualization Solution for Intel-powered Macs!

Edited by HitSquad, 14 April 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#4 DamSexy

DamSexy

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:06 AM

If Macs run windows doesnt that mean they will be able to pick up viruses now?
Posted Image

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:19 AM

I hate apple,

but the bit of competition cant hurt i suppose..

#6 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

Apple was great back in 1995 with games like Oregon Trail and Dino Park Tycoon. Well I guess thats all I liked about it and I was 11.

#7 forevermac

forevermac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

Even in the early 90's I liked macs, now it's got to a stage where I'm surrounded by them (with work etc), so I guess I'm a big fan. The advent of windows on a mac is probably one of the biggest marketing coups goings. Imagine that the Company has just opened up a totally new market (i know virtual PC has been around years), but this just takes the biscuit. Apple can now market their hardware to: Unix users, Mac users, PC users, Audio visual fanatics, musicians, gamers, and of course music lovers everywhere. They've changed the game plan and are now competing head to head with the likes of Dell, rather than Microsoft themselves. Now, you have to ask themselves, which computer system will the average high street buyer choose?

Rgds

Richard

//Mod edit: Removed commercial link per BC board rules.

Edited by KoanYorel, 29 April 2006 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users