Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Accelerator - what is it, how to engage it

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

My motherboard is a Gigabyte M68MT-S2 with integrated Video NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a.  My monitor is a Dell E173FP.  When playing games online, there is a message at the bottom regarding the graphics accelerator not working or being missing.  "You are playing without graphics acceleration."

I searched Gigabyte's and Nvidia's websites, as well as Dell's.  I could not find th answer.  I know, at least I knew at one time, there is a way to enable graphics acceleration, but I cannot recall how to do it.  (Last time I actually did this it was on an XP machine.)

I used Easy Tune 6 to adjust settings, but the "Graphics" tab is greyed out.  If I go into System and open the display dialogue box, then Troubleshoot, the option to change settings is greyed out. 

The driver for the monitor is up-to-date.  The driver for the integrated graphics is up-to-date. 

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit

4GB DDR III SDRAM 1600

Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB SATA hard drive (piece of crap)

CPU AMD Athlon II X2 3.2GHz

Thanks

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Have a look at this article which hopefully would fix that error message up.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

As I wrote, the "change settings" is greyed out. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

You can try the following:

Uninstall the video driver...it's meaningless as to whether it's "up to date" or not...if it's not working because it's damaged, it needs to be removed and an undamaged driver version installed.

Then...you might run the DX diagnostic, just to check functionality.  Start/Run...type dxdiag and hit Enter.

Louis

#5 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Did all that, 'change settings' is still greyed out.  This motherboard's graphics ability is supposed to able to handle 3D, so I think it is the monitor.  DXDIAG shows no problems in any driver.

Thanks for your help.

Cass

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Re overclocking with Easy Tune, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249185-29-overclocking-gigabyte-easytune6 .

I looked at several other review/topics re this utility...I suggest removing it and seeing if things return to normal.

Louis

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I didn't overclock, but I will still remove Easy Tune 6.  I fear overclocking because the warning reads that it could shorten the life of my processor and/or memory.  (I paid too much to shorten their lives.)

I will post results.

:)

Actually, I read that while searching for an answer.  I will try it, but it doesn't seem to be about my problem.  This person actually wants to overclock something; I just want my graphics to work.

The article's links are 404 - cannot be found.  The rest is a little difficult to comprehend, but when I followed the instructions using my AMD motherboard, the changes mentioned are not listed.  For instance, "System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00B or 2.00D" is not available on my mobo.

Any other suggestions?  A new mobo is sounding much easier to handle at the moment.  Could you recomment software to copy my hard drive to a backup in case I do purchase a new mobo?

Thanks.

Edited by Cassiopeia, 25 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Forgot to mention: my pc has Nvidia Control Panel installed.  I just noticed it when doing other work.  Should I remove it, or can I adjust the settings that way?

I just want my games to run faster and with better graphics quality.

Thanks.

Cass

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Link was provided only to illustrate that program appears to quite worthy of uninstall.

I can't tell you anything about nVidia Control Panel...I'm mostly familiar with ATI/AMD graphics.

If you actually use nVidia CP for something...I'd leave it.  If not, I'd probably uninstall it, although I junk from ATI/AMD installed which I don't use.  I've got lots of drive space and systems with no problems...so I don't get too excited about apps  installed with drivers which I do not toy with.

I also don't game so I don't have any tips re improving gaming performance.  Just hold on until someone more knowledgeable about such posts to your topic.

Louis

#10 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hamluis, I do not know anyone more knowledgeable than you so it will be a long wait.  The NVIDIA panel has to be installed for the driver to work. 

Any suggestions for backing up the hard drive for a new motherboard?

My father has the same setup and has no problems at all. 

#11 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

You are never going to believe this: I found the answer in Mozilla's help section.  Right-click on any video image: choose settings: enable hardware accelleration in the Adobe Flash settings.

All this and it was that simple?  Why doesn't it say that somewhere in the game I want to play? 

Thanks for all your help.  Hopefully all this will help someone from pulling out his hair!

:)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Very nice work, glad you solved it :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users