Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly build computer only turns on for a second...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bladetucker

bladetucker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hello, read the sticky about troubleshooting when PC doesn't turn on, but thought I'd start a thread just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Hooked up my new SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W to my ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77  with Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz and stock fan. 

Motherboard spins the CPU fan and Case fan for about 2 seconds then stops.  Disconnected everything but the fans from the mobo and that's all I get, 2 second of power.  Switched out the PSU for one I know works and still no progress.  Guess the motherboard is DOA, eh? 

ASUS customer service is down for the evening, so just thought I'd talk to some experts here. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Any diagnostic LEDs lighting up on the board?  Tried swapping out memory, is it in the correct slots?  Have you reset CMOS?

Well, try old reliable.........

Board out of case, on a non conductive surface.  CPU installed with cooler,1 stick memory in whatever slot your owners manual says to use with one stick of memory, and a monitor hooked up to the video output on the board.  Hook up PSU to 24 pin connector, and the 8 pin by CPU socket.  Short the "on/off" terminals together on the mobo and see what happens.  No work?  Pull the CPU and ck socket for bent pins/contacts, look close.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

One other thing to check. Make sure the Heatsink is in full contact with the CPU and has the right amount of heatsink compound.

I have seen your symptom due to the heatsink not being installed properly. The Computer will shut down to protect the CPU if it gets too hot. it only takes a second or two with modern processors.

To Much or too little heatsink compound can also cause heat issues.

Good Luck

Roger.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users