Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System only booting to Windows Recovery Environment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLYUSEmeAZN

ONLYUSEmeAZN

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Here's a rundown of this system's history:

Bought it prebuilt as a business computer from Dell.

Used it.

Lightning: HDD-1=Poop (usable, but blue screens and freezes a lot)

HDD-2 works fine (purchased new)

Months pass.

Now my dad logs into his e-mail, looks at a message, deletes it, walks away for a few minutes

The computer crashes and only boots to Windows Recovery Environment.

And that's my problem. I can't do anything but boot to this mode and I've restored to the factory image and my own image (created from HDD-1's factory image) and nothing worked.

I've even attempted to bcdedit recovery mode off, but no such luck.

My friend tells me that I need to use a UPS or a Surge Protector and that the power in the business could've spiked and caused HDD failure.

Any halpz and inputz?

Thanks! :)

Edited by ONLYUSEmeAZN, 23 March 2013 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

To find out if this is your hdd you can download a diagnostic tool from the hdd's manufacturer.

If you look at the hdd the name of the manufacturer will be printed on it, if you provide me with this information I will find a download which you will burn as a ISO file to boot from and run the test.

You may need to access the BIOS to make your DVD/CD-ROM the first device in the boot order if it is not already.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ONLYUSEmeAZN

ONLYUSEmeAZN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

The HDD is a Western Digital Blue Caviar 500GB SATAIII 7200RPM drive. And the BIOS editing will be no problem, thanks for the help in advance!

#4 ONLYUSEmeAZN

ONLYUSEmeAZN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Just ran Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, the first hard-drive came back with bad sectors, but they were unable to be fixed. The second one come back clean, so now I'm going to write zeroes and see if it works better.

The whole thing could possibly be the PSU, but I can't get a sensor read on SIW.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

so now I'm going to write zeroes and see if it works better.

If you do this it will overwrite the hdd and all of your data will be gone.  You should try to recover the data and save it to a removable media.

I you are having accessing the data, you can use a program like Ubuntu to retrieve it.  If you want instructions on how to do this just let me know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ONLYUSEmeAZN

ONLYUSEmeAZN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the input, yeah I backed up before so it should be safe (bless those huge flash drives).

so now I'm going to write zeroes and see if it works better.

If you do this it will overwrite the hdd and all of your data will be gone.  You should try to recover the data and save it to a removable media.

I you are having accessing the data, you can use a program like Ubuntu to retrieve it.  If you want instructions on how to do this just let me know.

#7 ONLYUSEmeAZN

ONLYUSEmeAZN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm a little interested though, if I take the factory image planted on HDD-1 (the one with the bad sectors) and transfer it onto HDD-2, will the image be corrupt even on the newly zeroed HDD? (Assuming the bad sectors affect the factory image; and in another situation, do not affect the image--so that's two different answers).

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

Just as a future reference, you might have been able to recover some of the data from the bad sectors by running chkdsk /r from the Command Promtp in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Usually bad sectors are mapped out and data isn't placed in these, but this would depend on the number of bad sectors.  There are literally millions of sectors, so it's possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users