Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few Win8 problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eriktheready

eriktheready

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

1. I find it disconcerting that in a lot of programs and particularly on websites etc using Win 8 you have to preeessss the left click slooowwwly because a quick click does not seem to register - easy to get used to though I suppose and not a major problem except when you are busy and suddenly realise nothing has happened.

2. I am using the classic start menu shell as I prefer it but the programs do not stay where I put them and if I open more then at least one drops off the list.

I like to have Outlook, Word, Excel and IE at the top of the start menu and I like them to stay in the order I have arranged them and not shift each time the latest one is used - how can I do this?

3. I cannot get my screen res / aspect right and my desktop pic (that I have used in X,P and battled then to sort out with my new monitor) is now so enlarged that only the centre of the pic is to be seen. I downloaded the Samsung P2250G digital s/ware but it appears to be for Vista and Win 7 and although it shows on the machine I can't access its menu to adjust the aspect and image size on my screen using the Samsung menu that is the only one that eventually worked before. The windows screen control does not interface to the Samsung LCD monitor very well it seems

When I open, for example, G Earth, the earth is not round but elongated across the screen (not badly but you can see it), as is anything with a big circle. I got this sorted before but can't get it right now.

On the whole the upgrade to Win8 is a definite improvement over running 2010 on XP pro. The machine boots quickly, transitions quickly, accesses the web like lightning and just generally is a pleasure - and I only have 4G of RAM!

If anyone can help with my niggles I would be most grateful!

Regards to all - Erik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

One point's discussion:

3. Video... this is usually a function of the video-driver.

Do you remember the Settings you used under XP?  If those Settings (for example, 1440x900) aren't available to you in Win8 but were in WinXP, then this is a Video Driver issue.  

Your Monitor Software generally offers Color Adjustments, and Screen Refresh Rates, but it can't control or 'drive' the video-signal from your video card. 

I usually snag video-driver updates from the manufacturer websites, not Windows Updates, by the way.  At best, those are stripped down, lowest-common-denominator versions and manufacturer websites will have the 'real deal'.

#3 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Well thank you Christine.

As you will see from my post, I did go to the manufacturer's website and do all those good things, exactly as I did when using XP. I am running an NVIDIA graphics card and that software also won't adjust the settings correctly so I need the Samsung program

The Samsung Software download states it is for Win7 & Vista but that it should adjust for whatever operating system you are using - I don't think Samsung have updated their software for Win8 so Windows continues to see it as unknown origin.

I know that the Windows adjustments are rough and ready and that is why I wanted to be able to access the OE s/w which is the only thing that sorted it out before.

I think I will have to go to the Samsung site and make a noise ...

Anybody want to offer solutions to my other problems?

Erik

#4 ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yes, I didn't see the text in your original post about you downloading and installing the latest NVidia drivers for Win8.  I only saw that you'd written about downloading the Samsung monitor utilities - the same ones I use on my S24C.

#5 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

After buggering around with the display problem all day and giving it some more consideration let me expand on the problem.

The display shows all toolbars and everything on the system just fine but....

My desktop picture is about 4 times-plus larger than my monitor so only the very centre of it is displayed and you can see how huge it is and I can't get it to fit to the screen - it is also evident that it is horizontally elongated. If I go to my pictures and look at the same picture in windows pic viewer it behaves just fine.

Now if I open G/earth the earth is not round but somewhat squashed (also horizontally elongated).To me that indicates an aspect ratio problem?

Also if I view something on the web there is also some elongation

I managed to get rid of the furriness of my text by messing around in the display field where it asks if you want to make text larger or smaller or invoke the special Windows font control. Text is really sharp now - much easier on the eyes.

Erik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users