Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden shutdown - And Wierd Whining Noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenix

kenix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Dear Bleeping computer Forum -  I have a serious issue with my computer, and i was hoping that you might be able to assist me.

My computer shuts down, out of the blue. No error warning, no anything. It goes straight to black screen. This usually happens when i play something graphic intense. I have noticed that when i run something that requires a lot of work from my computer, there is this wierd, high pitched sound, coming from the tower. I have cleaned the hardware from dust etc. Because i assumed it was a heating problem - I even checked all my temps and everything, and tried running my computer through an intense furmark session with no apparent trouble, while constantly checking temps - No issue there. But as soon as i play anything remotely requiring of my computer, it shuts down - If i forexample play tomb raider, or xcom the time before shutdown is very short, but if i forexample play Dota 2 (a much less requiring game) it might take up to an hour or 30 minutes before shutdown. The more intense, the higher the whining, often indicating a shutdown. I tried to unplug RAM, and my GPU from power (Hard drive aswell), but the whining still persist, on a slightly lower level. This makes me assume that there is a serious Hardware problem.. I just cannot for the life of me, figure out what the problem is.

Any Help would be greatly Appreciated, before i go out and throw a lot of money after the problem :)

My specs (simplified) (see attached HW-Monitor Report for details)

Mainboard: M4N78 SE (Asus)

Processor: AMD Phenom 4x 9950 Quad-core processor(Black edition)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTS 450

PSU: NorthQ 4775-400bu2 Ultra silent (400w)

Regards, Kenix

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dgdawg

dgdawg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I have this problem too on my older computer.  My northbridge fan is dead and I think this is the problem.  I can go to google just fine but when I go to just about any other website the computer just shuts down.

Have you checked your chipset fans on your motherboard?

#3 kenix

kenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have. No problem with the fans as far as i can tell. However, i tried to diagnose my powersupply, by using the paperclip trick. No problem with the powersupply as far as the 24 pin motherboard connector goes. If i plug it into the motherboard, there is no whine either. But, as soon as i plug in my atx12v connector to the motherboard (4pin) the whine starts, which must indicate a problem with this particular area of hardware. But i cannot figure out if it is the powersupply that causes this problem, og the motherboard.

#4 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

The noise you described is usually associated with an overworked power supply.

Your video card can use 250 Watts when pushed. Add your quad core processor and there isn't a lot left of the 400W your PSU can supply. You really need to upgrade the PSU.

An overworked power supply is very prone to critical failure which can include combustion. The sooner it is replaced the better.

#5 kenix

kenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

Thank you for the reply Uncle Rim.

I tried swapping out the PSU for a friend of mines, just to see if there were any improvements in performance.

Well, it seemed to fix the problem, so i suppose you are right :) i ordered a corsair Gs600 2013 edition PSU today, fingers crossed that it will fix my problem :)

Regards, Kenix

#6 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm fairly confident that a 600W PSU will make some dramatic improvements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users