Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Input

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 StaticS

StaticS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi there. It's been many years and I'm now scoping parts for a new one.

I wanted to bounce the configuration off you guys. Any and all input is appreciated.

In the interest of brevity, here's what I've got so far:

Case:
Corsair Obsidian 650D

MB:
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770 LGA 1155

CPU Cooler:
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature+ w/Backplate

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

PSU:
CORSAIR HX750

SSD:
OCZ Vector 128G

HDD:
WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10K-RPM

ODD:
ASUS DVD Burner DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit -OEM

While I picked all the parts in my last two rigs, this will be the first assembly I've attempted myself. Some primary concerns for me (at this point) are ease of installation, component compatibility, making sure the PSU is enough or too much, and the lack of a sound card.

My rigs essential function will be gaming. I do not intend to overclock or use multiple GPUs.

I will answer any questions posed, but if I prattle on I'll surely end up being redundant and irritating. Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

It's all compatiable but 750W power supply is an overkill for a single gpu system, 650W is enough. Ditch the VelociRapter and get a standard 1 or 2 TB hard drive and also you may want to increase the capacity of the SSD.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ONLYUSEmeAZN

ONLYUSEmeAZN

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Like killer said, get a less hefty PSU and just stick with a normal 7200RPM HDD (you can get better capacity than a 300GB 10k) and depending on what you want to do with the SSD, up the capacity on that as well. Oh yeah, unless you plan on getting more HDDs and PCI cards, get a normal case-the 650D is kind extremely spacious for your build (unless you want uberly good airflow, which space tends to be good for). Oh--consider getting case fans to draw air in and out too.

Good luck!

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

Ditch the OCZ SSD and try a Samsung or Crucial, at least 256gb if you can swing it..  OCZ just seems to have QC problems.  A 1-2 TB WD Black would make a solid data drive.

Nothing wrong with case or PSU.   For your build you could even go as small as 550 watts and not have a problem, but having a bit of overkill wont hurt.  You will be hard pressed to run more than 300 watts through your build, so any PSU ~600 watt mark will be the sweet spot.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

OCZ's new line of drives is a lot better then previous generations and the Vector is one hell of a SSD, currently the 128GB Vector model is a lot cheaper then the 840 pro 128gb.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 StaticS

StaticS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Firstly, thanks for the help gang. It's good to know I don't need so much power.

But, let me get into the SDD/HDD stuff in more detail as that seems to be what's sticking out most.

I'll start by saying that I know next to nothing about the solid states. It's an entirely new thing for me. I've reservations about their reliability. I have heard Samsung works magic, but it seems I can't find my price/performance sweet spot with them. That is, except for the ones that are out of stock.

I have heard the negativity regarding OCZ's drives, and it did seem more than valid. Having said that, and as the Aussie points out, the Vector is being called a turning point for them. As I mentioned, I know next to nothing. I just thought I'd step out of the comfort zone and give it a try -set it up as the boot drive whilst the mechanical does the rest. If it turns out that an SSD will treat my data as something other than a temp folder, I would go SSD all the way. I want to.

Also, I managed to get by on 150GB 10k-RPM drive for years. I don't really use a lot of space, so doubling it seems enough. I hesitate to go back to 7200 RPM, just for the capacity I won't use -especially given what the Dead Island load screens were like. I could put Bioshock Infinite on that ten times and still have room, and that thing is going to be huge. I don’t save movies or folders of MP3s so I can't imagine what I would do with a 2TB drive. How many cat pictures could I cram on such a thing? Ya'll ready to hear my Carl Sagan impersonation?

Anyway, if anybody else is inclined then please do chime in. I am still worried about not having a sound card, although this Sabertooth’s onboard seems pretty robust. It's not like I'm an audiophile or anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just don't want to cramp my CPU's style, know what I mean?

Edited by StaticS, 24 March 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well, if OCZ has turned the corner, more power to them.  Competition is good.  That being said, more than a few of us old timers got burned more than once by OCZ, and we have long memories {until the Alzheimers kicks in).

I have the same motherboard, and no complaints about the onboard sound.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

The Vector is basically OCZ's first full in house design SSD and their firmware is a lot more stable, not plagued with issues. Also the Vector is one of the fastest SSD on the market you could get and it's performance is on par with the 840 Pro.

>Michael 

#9 StaticS

StaticS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

I do know something about getting burned; my first car was a used Ford Lynx. XD

Fingers crossed that it is a turning point, but I am still casting sideways glances at Crucial's M4 128GB.

Anyway, I was thinking about dropping the PSU down to the HX650...

However, what do ya'll think of Cooler Master's Silent Pro M2 620?

You think it would get along well with my configuration?

Also, thats good to hear that you've no issues with Sabertooth's onboard audio. I'm excited about that board. I just always heard that without a sound card the CPU was having to work more. So, I always got one even though I don't run any sort of elaborate sound system. But I'm sure the Sabertooth and the i7-3770 could handle the audio workload without noticeably affecting framerates, no? Just verifying if my understanding of this flawed somehow.

Again, thanks for the help.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Based from the reviews, the power supply seems to be good but no guarantee in that. The i7-3770 is a very powerful CPU, it shouldn't have any issues at with that. 

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users