Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow libraries (but not fixed by standard methods!)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oidarwazeh

oidarwazeh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

Hey guys,

So I've been using Windows 8 for quite a bit now, since October probably. Never had issues with it. Around Christmas time, I bought a 750GB 7200 spin HDD for my laptop, replacing my 250GB one. I used acronis to make a direct copy (probably not the best idea, but with 300GB of steam files to download again, I couldn't feasibly re-install windows fresh) and it's worked flawlessly since.

About 2 weeks ago, I've had a problem with my libraries c.f. http://tinypic.com/r/10wi137/6

I've followed some instructions on the internet c.f. http://tinyurl.com/mbobbz to reset certain customisations in Windows 8 libraries, and view all files in the folder as a lift of documents, rather than the slow loading pic / video setting.

Nothing is working. It's a right pain, because I can navigate to my google drive folder for work or to my media files. It's not just affecting my libraries, but it's affecting my computer and USB drives.

I've got clean scans with Norton 360, I'm quite tech savvy so I know it's not a virus, it seems like a windows 8 reinstallation would be ideal, but I really DON'T want to do that.

So guys, any help here please. I'm having to restart my PC, and then after 10 mins it goes from normal to no loading.

I've often seen ending explorer.exe and starting it elevated, helps, but again maybe for 10+ mins before it goes crappy again.

Thanks, O.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oidarwazeh

oidarwazeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Bump? Where's the tech support?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Sorry for the delay. I am not 100% sure what the problem is that your having? Are you having an issue that when you open a library it displays the contents very slowly?

#4 oidarwazeh

oidarwazeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, as you well know, since windows 7, libraries are pretty much the only way to get around, and it eventually goes slow and stops displaying any content. I have to restart my pc / end explorer.exe task and restart it. Wondering why it's done it?

I defrag at least once a week, I'm very careful with viruses etc. It's honestly not that. Other than reinstalling windows and reformatting my hd, and starting again, I don't know.

I've set my folder options to stop displaying content as media, and just as documents. So I don't get what's going on.

Thanks, hope I've made it clearer.

O

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Much clearer...thanks. Are you using an AV software? If so, which?

#6 oidarwazeh

oidarwazeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Norton 360,

O

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Out of curiosity, if you disable it and browse your libraries, is it faster?

#8 oidarwazeh

oidarwazeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

No. Honestly? You know this wouldn't make a difference. If you've never had any experience with this issue before please pass it on to someone who DOES know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users