Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Log Into Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dom3474

dom3474

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:05 AM

Hi, I offered to help a family member to help cure their slow computer which was denying them access to the internet, - I've gotten way over my head!

Windows XP home

Problem -

It would take over 5 minutes to log into a user account and would not allow access to the internet. There were no adequate updated security precautions as no care had been taken care to renew security and updates for years.

Action I took -

1. Downloaded Spybot from a disc, run it and got rid of any spyware it found
2. Downloaded AVG anti-virus, run a scan which found that around 2000 files were infected, AVG automatically healed what it found and re-started Windows.

Result -

Windows starts and when I attempt to log into a user account it 'loads user settings' and then immediately 'saves user settings' which brings me back to the user account log in screen.

I have tried to start up in safe mode and using Administrator log-in with the same result.

There is no re-boot disc as one was never created from the partition when the PC was first bought.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I feel I am responsible for a machine which does not now work!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

Do you have either the manufacturer's restore disk or the Windows Installation disk for the machine?

With the computer so far gone (thousands of infected files), the best way to address it would be to wipe the drive (fdisk) and reinstall the system by booting with the Windows Installation CD or the manufacturer's restore disk.

Some brand computers didn't come with either and had a Restore partition instead, and if that's the case boot the computer and watch for instructions at the bottom of the screen BEFORE Windows begins to start.

For instance, if it was a Dell equipped with this feature:
NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 7/16/2004 in the Americas and 8/30/2004 in Europe.

1. Power the computer on.
2. When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.

NOTE NOTE: Press the keys one time only. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs and the process has to be initiated again.

3. Click the Restore button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Restore and press the <Enter> key.
A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.
4. Click the Confirm button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Confirm and press the <Enter> key.
The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
When the restore is complete, the message The system recovery process was successful appears.
5. Click the Finish button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Finish and press the <Enter> key.
The computer will restart.

Your software is now as it was when you first received your computer.

Other brands may be slightly different - using different keys, etc, but will function similarly IF THEY ARE EQUIPPED WITH THE RESTORE PARTITION.

#3 dom3474

dom3474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

It worked!!

There is a restore partition and followed your advice (With some apprehension, admittedly, but completely unfounded). It now boots speedily and is as good as new.

Many thanks Enthusiast, I cannot express my gratitude enough.

Thanks again.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Enthusiast rawks! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Cannotlogin

Cannotlogin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

I am faceing the same problem but My PC is HP there is no deisc for reload

Windows starts and when I attempt to log into a user account it 'loads user settings' and then immediately 'saves user settings' which brings me back to the user account log in screen.

I have tried to start up in safe mode and using Administrator log-in with the same result.

There is no re-boot disc as one was never created from the partition when the PC was first bought.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users