Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix broke my network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Davan

Davan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

We are having a virus outbreak at work.  I've identified three computers that are infected.  Malware Bytes has found the infections, but doesn't seem to be able to remove them.

So then I heard about Combofix.

Before running combofix on the infected  computers, I went and ran it on my own workstation, as a test to see what it does, and how it works.

It ran for about 15 minutes, then rebooted my computer.

After reboot, I have no network.  My LAN adapter does not acquire the correct DHCP address, verified with ipconfig.  ipconfig -renew fails.  There are many network related services that fail to start.  Right-clicking on the LAN adapter in the control panel causes Windows Explorer to crash.

I've rebooted several times.  I've manually tried to start the network services in services.msc, but they all fail.  I'm locked out of the LAN adapter in the control panel.

Any ideas before I end up wiping my entire workstation and reinstalling Windows?  Needless to say, I won't be recommending Combofix to anyone in the future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

Did you happen to READ THE WARNING?

Warning! Please read this first.
Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.

This topic will be moved to Am I Infected for clean up. Feel free to post back In Networking when the system is clean. The staff there can better analyze your combo fix report and help repair what was done.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 March 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Go to

C:\Windows\ERDNT\Hiv-backup

Right click on erdnt.exe and select run as administrator and click ok

After restore is complete,restart the PC and see if that helped restoring the internet connection.

Edited by narenxp, 22 March 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Needless to say, I won't be recommending Combofix to anyone in the future.

I'm obligated to point out that Combofix was never designed to run in a corporate/networked environment. The unique configuration of systems on the network from company to company can cause unpredictable results at times. Choosing to run Combofix in such a way is, of course, your prerogative. However, we will likely be unable to support any such use of the tool.

Your issues might be reversible. . . follow naren's instructions above.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Davan

Davan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Needless to say, I won't be recommending Combofix to anyone in the future.

I'm obligated to point out that Combofix was never designed to run in a corporate/networked environment. The unique configuration of systems on the network from company to company can cause unpredictable results at times. Choosing to run Combofix in such a way is, of course, your prerogative. However, we will likely be unable to support any such use of the tool.

Your issues might be reversible. . . follow naren's instructions above.

Exactly why I chose to test the software on my workstation before attempting to use it on any of our corporate workstations.

@narenxp, Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users