Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cost Of Maintaining A Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:28 AM

I didn't know what forum was appropriate for this question:

Is there a web site or an article anyone can link me to that discusses the cost of keeping a computer operating?

I remember, once upon a time, reading an article that stated that a corporation figures that the cost of keeping a computer up and running over it's lifetime is three times it's initial cost. However, I cannot find any trace of that article now.

Do you know of anything similar?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:36 AM

There was an article a while back of Google switching to AMD because the power cost far outstrip the cost of hardware.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:03 AM

That's the kind of thing I am looking for, but not just electricity costs, but maintainance costs, virus removal, etc.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

Are thes any help?

http://www.cbronline.com/article_cbr.asp?g...6A-6ED710C96BD5

http://www-03.ibm.com/financing/pdf/us/RFG..._PC_Leasing.pdf
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

I would assume that the only cost needed to keep a computer operating would be the cost of electricity. A lot of virus/adware/malware eliminating programs are free now-adays, so they don't really add into the "ritual upkeep" of the system. However, there may be costs for hardware replacement or labor done on the computer....

So far, every computer i've had has been pretty cheap to maintain (counting out the cost of electricity). The only one i've had to spend money to repair was an e-machines we bought a few years back. We had to replace the harddrive, so that costs a little extra (too many partitionings :thumbsup:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users