Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LOCKING UP & NTFS Consistency Check

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shempdevil

shempdevil

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Howdy,

I have a Dell Dimension 1100 that I use sparingly.
Haven't had any issues with it in about 2 years, but haven't used it much since I got my iPad.

About a month ago, I was using it and it locked up on me.
By "locked up", I mean that I could still move my cursor, but I couldn't click on anything. CTR-ALT-DEL wouldn't respond at all either.
I had to hold my power button for 5 seconds to kill the computer.

Then, when I rebooted, I saw something I have NEVER seen before.
During the bootup sequence, a blue screen appeared and told me that the disk consistency needed to be checked on one of my drives.
A countdown started and then the consistency check was completed.
All of the results looked favorable and there was no mention of a problem in the results text.

So I tried to use the computer again and after about 5 minutes, she locked up again.
I ran CCleaner and Combofix several times...problem still existed.
I did a system restore to a month prior and the problem still existed.
Since these things didn't work, I was thinking that the problem was most likely a hardware issue.

So I went on yahoo and searched for this problem to hopefully to get some potential solutions.
The most common cause of this that I found was a faulty hard drive. Some folks even said that the hard drive might be getting ready to fail.

The thing that is confusing me is that my hard drive is my c: drive.
This disk consistency check is targeting my d: drive.
I only have one hard drive, so I assume my D: drive is a partition of my hard drive.

I have no idea if the locking up problem and the NTFS issues are related, but if not, it was very coincidental that they started at exactly the same time.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Matthew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

HI :).

Whenever disk consistency checks occur...it's usually a signal that the user needs to run the chkdsk /r command, after the system finally boots to the desktop.  The "consistency check" doesn't necessarily alleviate the problem that created it, while the chkdsk /r command results in a more thorough check of the file system.  It's important to remember that...although Windows calls it a "disk check", it really is a check of the NTFS file system, file content...it is not a check of the hard drive for functional hard drive problems.

Hard drive problems may lie as the root cause of the check being triggered, but that must be dealt with in a different manner.

No "consistency check" or running of the chkdsk /r command can overcome every problem.  In addition to not being able to overcome hard drive functional problems...neither can necessarily overcome a damaged NTFS file system and various other items.  In most cases, if Windows comes across something that chkdsk /r cannot overcome (but can diagnose), it will let the user know by indicating onscreen that such has happened.

Since you have a Dell...you really do have two partitions.  Windows calls each partition a "drive", something that annoys me but that's just the way that Windows is :).  Dell installs a small partition at the beginning of the hard drive, which may relate to restoring the system to factory defaults, contain the boot files, and other things that I am unfamiliar with.  It's necessary, unless the user has wiped the Dell system and then proceeded to do a clean install with a purchased copy of Windows (which has its own license).

You can see this partition by going to Disk Management in Windows.  Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

The fact that the "disk consistency check" occurs...does not necessarily mean that the hard drive is failing.  It can indicate such..but it really means that Windows is having problems with files on the file system.  Which is why the suggestion is to run the chkdsk /r command.

To check the functional status of the hard drive...a Dell user should run the online Dell Diagnostics, http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=266616  ,  if the system is still bootable. users can run the utility at http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=Y1RK6 .  These are not the only tools which can be checked to assess the functional status of hard drives...they are the Dell tools and I suppose that Dell owners should use them because they are readily available.

<<I ran CCleaner and Combofix several times...problem still existed.>>

My personal opinion...is that users have no need nor understanding of what either tool does.  I never suggest either, but that's a personal bias.

Ccleaner has a registry tool which can remove required registry entries and create problems for users lacking knowledge of the registry.

ComboFix is a tool designed to be used for malware situations by knowledgeable personnel...if you read the disclaimers posted at CF download sites, you will see that.  It is not a panacea for every system problem a user may have...it is a tool used for certain malware situations.  Since it is a tool designed for malware situations...it is not discussed or suggested for use in any forum here at BC that does not concern itself with malware.

Sooooo....after all those words, I suggest that you run the chkdsk /r command.  Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new window, hit Enter.  Reboot the system.  The check will initiate before boot, upon completion, the system will boot into Windows.

For your own piece of mind...run the Dell online hardware diagnostic.  If you have a failing hard drive, that should reveal such.  If the hard drive is OK, then you know how to assure yourself that..."consistency checks" do not necessarily mean that the hard drive is toast :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users