Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating programs/files to Win7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 angerli

angerli

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello, Friends! I'm getting a new laptop soon with Win7/64 preloaded and likely Office 10 too. Now, I've got this old desktop I built in 2005. Opsys is Win7/64. Currently using it, runs fine. BUT, I'll need to migrate my MS Outlook files, Word docs and Firefox favorites to the new laptop. The LAST thing I want to have to do is manually reconfigure all these things.

Could someone give me an idea how I go about this?

Thanks very much,

Sandy Gerli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Is it WIN 7 or 8 or two different laptops?? as per your post here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489440/migrating-programsfiles-to-win8/

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

Firefox bookmarks can be backed up very easily from the Menu bar. Click on 'Bookmarks', then click on 'Show all bookmarks'. This brings up a box called 'Library', in the middle at the top, you will see a command 'Import and Backup'. Click on this and you will have the choice to either back up the bookmarks or export them as HTML. Both work, and you can choose where to save the resulting file - a memory stick would be a good place. Then all you have to do is reverse the process in your new computer.

Word docs can be transferred the same way, just use Windows Explorer ( right click on the 'Start' button, left click on 'Explore' ) ( or click on the 'Win Explore' icon on the taskbar ) to drag and drop your documents to a memory stick or portable hard drive and then drag aand drop them onto wherever you want them in your new computer.

I can't apeak for Outlook, I don't use it, but the files it generates can be moved in exactly the same way as Word documents. I would suggest you do a backup on your contact list as well.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users