Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few Crop Duster Photos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

A few shots of a crop duster, that was flying over the house the other day.
Rice planting time.

A shot of the pilot:
03-10_014_PBucket.jpg

Crossing the road, going behind the house:
03-10_035_PBucket.jpg

Coming up the road towards me:

03-10_047_PBucket.jpg

03-10_048_PBucket.jpg

03-10_049_PBucket.jpg

A nice reflection of the field, on the bottom of the wing:
03-10_067_PBucket.jpg
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

These guys are awesome to watch.  Great pictures!

I have a friend that use to do this for a living, until he clipped a power line.  He doesn't dust fields anymore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for taking the time to view/comment, dc3.

Yeah, I have crop fields on all 4 sides of my house, so I get lots of opportunities to watch them work.
In picture #3, from the equipment under the plane to the treeline, there is a landing strip running parallel to the road, that is used for loading fertilizer/poison later in the season.
It's not far from the house, about a ½ mile.
When my grandson is at the house, he and I will walk down there to watch them take-off, and land.
He loves being able to watch them up close, and personal.
Truth be told, so do I. :)

When I was going through the A&P school, there were a lot of duster mechanics coming through to get there certifications.
They had a lot of stories about duster pilots, getting into some pretty hairy situations.
Because of their having to fly at such a low altitude, and all of the obstructions they have to be constantly aware of, if you lose concentration for a second, it could be fatal.
You hear about duster crashes all of the time, around here.
Luckily, few are fatal.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#4 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Great shots tg1911. :thumbup2: !!!

You have captured the action and atmosphere of being there. I see what you mean about the reflection under the wing. I like the perspective of the 2 above that; the detail with tractors and things and fading horizon with the plane just hanging in mid air!

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thank you, violetrose.
I appreciate the comments.

They came out pretty good, but not quite what I wanted.
He was coming back so fast between runs, that I didn't have time to view images between shots, and make adjustments.
If I could have checked the images, I would have seen that I needed to drop back on the shutter speed a little.
That would have given me the full arc of the prop, blurred, instead of just a partial arc.
Oh well, It's not like I won't have a few dozen opportunities to try it again. :)
Maybe, next time.

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

Hmmm...I don't suppose it would be possible to hitch a ride with the pilot for a 'birds-eye view' opportunity ?! :)

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Not unless I want to ride on the wing. :)
They're single-seat aircraft.

#8 quo

quo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

What happens when suit goes to inform dusters of government subsidy cuts...

...well, kinda.

Edited by quo, 08 May 2013 - 05:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users