Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Search Parameters Question / Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boweasel

boweasel

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

The XP searches I do are pretty much always to find something on an external drive.  I always start by going to My Computer, selecting the drive, selecting the folder and clicking Search from the menu bar to bring up the search companion.  I then enter part of the file name and click Search.  I hardly ever use the Advanced Options.

The first search always works perfecly.  But if I initiate a second search from that same page by changing the file name, it almost always gives me an immediate negative result.

If I then go to the Advanced Options, I see that in the Type of File box is listed AAC Audio Book.

I don't want to search for a particular type of file, but I can't get back to a blank in the type of file.  And the pulldown, although it has dozens of file type listed, has nothing for All File Types.

I have to X out of the search, re-click My Computer and start over.

When I do start over, if I click Advanced Options, the Type of File box is empty, which is what I want.  I just don't know how to re-empty it after every search..

I do a lot of searches and it's a pain in the butt to have to close the search every time.

Anybody know how to fix this minor, but annoying problem?  I can find nothing online about it.  The AAC Audio Book file type is the first type listed.  I just don't know why it defaults to that after almost every search.  And I don't know how to clear it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I don't have a fix for your search in XP. I became so disenchanted with it myself I resorted to alternatives.

I use Agent Ransack - Free File Searching Utility

Others here like Everything search engine

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

:thumbup2: , I use the Everything tool, rather than the Windows search function.

Louis

#4 boweasel

boweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Not exactly the answer I was looking for since Everything does not search file contents, a feature I frequently use.

I have an old working laptop that also runs XP and it has never had any problems with Windows searches. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Well...you'll have to wait until someone who actually uses that tool...responds to your inquiry.

I'm sure there are some that do, even some who have mistakenly installed Search 4.0 on their XP systems.

Louis

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Everything does not search file contents, a feature I frequently use.

Agent Ransack does and much better than XP's search. Highly recommended.

Try switching to classic search. See if the problem is still there.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Use Classic Search In Explorer
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState] 
"Use Search Asst"="no"

To turn back on the silly doggy search just edit the reg file to Use Search Asst"="yes".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users