Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 missy1

missy1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:32 AM

Last night I installed windows Xp onto my laptop and lost EVERYTHING!!! The disk did not prompt me to back up, therefor I have nothing to restore to. Photo's and documents that are much needed have been wiped. Is there anyway of getting these back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi missy1

The disk did not prompt me to back up

Xp setup works a little differently then upgrading from one version of 9x to another.
If you chose the upgrade option instead of new install (to a seperate partion for dual boot) it overwrites the previously installed OS. Basicly, if you installed XP on the C: drive, then don't hold out much hope of recovering all your lost files without an expensive data recovery service. I know you feel bad enough right now but you should get in the habit of backing up everything you can't afford to lose.
I've had some success recovering deleted files and images using PCInspector File Recovery (it's freeware) but never tried it under your circumstances. At this point, it's worth a shot.

#3 missy1

missy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:38 AM

Thank you, I will try that as soon as I get home from work. Fingers crossed. It wasn't only my documents that were lost but a few other people's as well. I still cannot believe I did it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users