Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated failure to recognise drives after correct boot up.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noreaster

noreaster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Have a problem with Winfast 760GX M/B.

After a straightforward boot, if computer is left idle, it attempts a reboot but fails to recognise any of the drives. This without any intervention on my part.

Have cleared the CMOS, replaced Cmos battery but cannot reconnect to the drives even by going through DEL. Simply are not accessible. Have checked that RAID is disabled.

At a loss. Beaten after thirty years hobbyist fiddling with computers.

Would be grateful for any help from someone with wider experience.

noreaster

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2013 - 01:04 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Does the BIOS reflect the proper hardware connected?

Louis

#3 noreaster

noreaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Tnx for reply, Louis

BIOS recognises drive and cdrom correctly at outset but if machine is left idle it loses the recognition and attempts a reboot which fails. Further attempts at an initial reboot to replicate the drive detection fail.

Almost as though the CMOS battery is somehow being shorted.

Any thoughts?

Tnx again

Sandy (noreaster)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

If you replaced with a new CMOS battery...I'd have to start thinking PSU/motherboard.  I'd try to eliminate the PSU first (because it's easier) before thinking "motherboard" but that's just my way of thinking.

In any case, I will move this topic to Internal Hardware where others more knowledgeable can try to assist :).

Louis

#5 noreaster

noreaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

OK. Thanks for the help Louis.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU which has a square molex plug for the CPU so will acquire one.

Couldn't say that I suspected a PSU problem. Never encountered a PSU problem before but in the light of your comment I do see that a failure in that might cause the problem since it does have some of the symptoms of voltage drop.

Thanks again. I will follow the transfer through and take investigate any further pointers from there.

Very grateful for your comments

Regards

Sandy (noreasterr)

#6 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi,

Try to leave your computer ON for a while in BIOS setup and check whether it is restarting on its own when in BIOS setup.

Rebooting may also caused by over heating issues, but i wonder why it does not recognise the any of the drives.

Chris

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#7 noreaster

noreaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

Hello Chris,

Hadn't thought of leaving the machine in BIOS setup to see what happens although I have wondered what precise procedure it goes through in the reboot and what triggers it. Louis' suggestion of a PSU problem seems the most plausible until now so I plan to have the lid off that to see whether any components are showing signs of strain. Then I will monitor the voltage with time on another boot. I have not managed to imagine a scenario for the failure to recognise the drives except that of a correct voltage at boot followed by a ramping downwards with time.

Few chores with XYL and then to the peeking into the PSU, which, knowing me, is probably a yardsale junker.

Many thanks

Sandy (noreaster)

#8 noreaster

noreaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Many thanks to everyone for the replies and for the comments which were very helpful.

After checking out the PSU, I decided to go straight for the jugular and managed to pick up an identical motherboard on that auction site for a small sum.

This cured the problem straight off so the box has been returned to a happy grandson.

Thanks again for all the help

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users