Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook not opening .pst files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IT Guy

IT Guy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'm IT Support at my job and an issue ticket came in reporting that they can't open their outlook file. It gives an error message stating, “The file H:\Outlook\Email Folder_newold(1).pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer."Attached File  Outlook error.png   9.03KB   5 downloads

I closed and reopened Outlook, restarted the computer, and closed and tried to reopened that file and still get the same error message. The anti-virus isn't running a scan and the backups don't start until around 7:00pm, so I don't know what could be locking up a .pst file besides Outlook. So far I don't think Windows have a tool that would tell you what process is locking a file and Task Manager doesn't help. So I need help on this one because I'm stuck :(

Remember, I work for a company so I can't use tools that are meant for personal use only.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2013 - 10:13 AM.
Moved from XP to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,744 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Try running Microsoft's repair tool on it.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/results.aspx?qu=%22Repair+Outlook+Data+Files%22

You'll need to select the article which corresponds to your version of Outlook for specific instructions.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 IT Guy

IT Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thanks Blade! I will try this when I go back into work Monday. I don't know why I didn't think of running a repair tool from Microsoft. I'm still open to ideas so feel free to post any tips and tricks. 

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,744 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Glad to help; let us know if it works for you.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

This thread might provide some useful advice:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-outlook/the-file-coutlook1pst-cannot-be-accessed-because/6a2bda43-dfaf-4728-b53a-1dc518a41e9f

I notice Outlook is being opened from the H drive, rather than the C drive. Are your users Telneting or remoting into their email clients? I also notice there's a (1) in the .pst file name. Was this file replaced or renamed at some point?

If the .pst file is corrupt and the repair tools don't fix it, you might be able to rebuild the user profile's email files from the email server, depending on what your email environment is. If you're running Exchange and the system is archiving user emails, you should be able to delete the user's Outlook profile, then recreate it in Outlook and have the Exchange server push back all the emails to the client. However, if the email server isn't archiving, then fixing the .pst file is your only real option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users