Whenever I plug a device into my USB ports, the balloon on the bottom right of the taskbar will pop up saying "Found New Hardware" and it correctly identifies the device, but doesn't install the driver. Instead, the "Found New Hardware" box will pop up, asking me to find the driver to install. This can be a pain (especially if the driver cannot be found online) However, older devices that I have previously installed on this machine before this started happeinging work fine when plugged in.
Here are the steps I have taken in an attempt to fix this problem:
1. Making sure plug and play is enabled
2. deleting the infcache.1
3. making sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion 'DevicePath' points to '%SystemRoot%\inf
4. making sure the values 'FactoryPreInstallInProgress' and 'AuditInProgress' are set to '1' under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
5. making sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup 'AuditInProgress' is set to "0"
6. making sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup 'FactoryPreInstallInProgress' is set to "0"
7. making sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup 'MiniSetupInProgress' is set to "0" (this key doesn't exist on my machine)
8. making sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup 'Setuptype' is set to "0"
9. making sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup 'SystemSetupInProgress' is set to "0"
10. deleting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory
11. deleting sysprep (I couldn't find it on my machine, so I assume it's not on there)
If you need more information or need me to be clearer on anything I said, please let me know.