Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need File Encryption Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 5vvell

5vvell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'd like to encrypt certain files/folders but I'm kind of clueless and could use some help.

I 'right-clicked' the folder that I wish to encrypt and then I check the box that says "Encrypt contents to secure data."

GPpVeTu.png

As the Microsoft instructions stated, the folder-name turned to green text which indicates encryption.

EbrPe7r.png It still allows me to open and read the folder contents but it also created this file which I assume is the encryption key: jwindyw.png

When I click to open jwindyw.pngthis window pops-up: 

LBgA4XM.png

When I click "Next" it pulls up this window:

zYFGNfo.png

So I enter the password  and successfully import  to the Automatically Selected store.

Now what?

I  don't understand  if I'm supposed to delete this encrypted folder with the green textEbrPe7r.png  and only keep this folder jwindyw.png Or do I keep both?

I'm lost =(

All that I want to do is protect/lock certain folders and files. Preferably password protect/lock them.

Does this method only encrypt these files/folders in a way that prevents somebody from stealing the files and opening them on another device?

Edited by 5vvell, 21 March 2013 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

What version of Windows? To my understanding file/folder encryption prevents others  from opening a file. If you are logged in or there is No Windows password the files will be Available.  
To anyone who has access to the pc.  A better solution would be Truecrypt You cam create and encrypted file container and put any file you want in it. When you dismount the folder it can only be mounted with the correct password or key file.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 5vvell

5vvell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm using Windows 8.

I think Truecrypt is what I'm looking for. 

Thanks for the response and take care.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Lol I didn't realize this was in the Windows 8 forums.  I clicked on the recent topics link  without looking. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users