Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating System Image DVD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hello to all,

My OS is Win 7x64 and some time ago I created system image recovery disks. I have looked for tutorials on how to update the disks to

to keep current and have not had much success. What do I need to do to update the disks I previously made? As always, help from any

and all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....... Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

I created system image recovery disks

System image and recovery disk are two different things.

How did you go about to create whatever you have question about?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Hi Broni,

Thanks for responding. Sorry, should have been more explicit. I created system image disks ( at suggestions received from this forum) to use as a system restore tool

as a safeguard against an infection that would leave me with no alternative other than to wipe system clean and reverting to original factory settings. It took four

disks to create this image and did so to have a backup externally in addition to having a computer backup. With an external backup it was my hope that if my system

was ever infected I wouldn't have to lose files and settings and only perform updates from the time system image was created. Do I have to create a new set of

these or is there a way to update the ones I previously created? Hope this answers your question.

Regards.......thanks...............

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Were the disks CD-RW (Compact Disc-ReWritable)?

If not, you cannot reuse the disks.

If it is in your budget, the better image storage solution would be an external hdd.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi buddy215,

The disks used are DVD+RW which are ReWritable. I know that they can be erased and used again after formatting. I was hoping to find a way to update the disks

previously made instead of having to create a whole new set. Is there a way to do that?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I know of one Linux distro that allows saving changes to settings and storage to be made to a DVD (Puppy Slacko) but I don't

know of any program that would perform that for a Windows OS. Especially Windows and other program updates.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

You're not saying which program you used tom create an image but if it was some free program they all will allow you to create just one image.

You can create as many images as you want but there is no way to update images.

If you use some paid for imaging program like Acronis it'll let you create one full backup (image) and then you can create consecutive differential or incremental images.

For that purpose however the best solution would be an external hard drive not DVDs.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

@Broni,

The program used to create system image is a Windows Program by going to START < CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM AND SECURITY > select > BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER > left side of screen displays CONTROL PANEL HOME > underneath the option to > CREATE SYSTEM IMAGE > select > WHERE DO YOU WANT TO SAVE THE BACKUP > then you are presented with two options: 1) To a hard disk  2) To one or more DVD's. Selecting 2 shows > DVD RW (Drive (D:).

I also have created a system repair disk. From what I gather so far it is not possible to update system images. Windows states the following:

• When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration. You can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your programs, system settings, and files are replaced with those on the system image.

Before starting, make sure that the removable media that your backup is stored on is available, if applicable. Also, make sure that the disk that you're restoring the backup to is the same size or larger than the disk that you backed up.

• When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration. You can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your programs, system settings, and files are replaced with those on the system image.

Before starting, make sure that the removable media that your backup is stored on is available, if applicable. Also, make sure that the disk that you're restoring the backup to is the same size or larger than the disk that you backed up.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

it is not possible to update system images

You're correct. You can't with Windows tool.

There are paid programs which will let you you create the image and then they'll let you update it.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users