Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD-ROM Disc drive quit working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have a Dell Studio 1737 Laptop running Windows 7. I've had problems with the DVD/CD-ROM Disc drive ever since I got it. Usually after its been running for a while and I put a disc in it won’t read it but I can get it back out and if I reboot it then it will work fine. Or after its been on a while if I put a disc in, it won’t read it and I can’t get it to eject it either until I reboot it. Now when I put a disc in it will spin up like its trying to read it then quits. It will eject it but won’t read it. I've checked in the Device Manager and checked the drivers, run driver update and it says the drivers are up to date. Under the Properties, Device Status, it says  "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" 

I've run System Restore back to a restore point when I uninstalled a HP Printer and installed a new Epson printer and it still won’t work. I've gone to the Dell website to look up new drivers for it but cant find any and I can’t find any helpful information either. In the Device Manager I've tried disabling it then enabling it again but I still get the device cannot start code 10. I've run the Windows trouble shooting and one time found something about "Photo Smart C310 is missing". The C310 is the model of the HP printer I uninstalled and replaced with the Epson. Why that is coming up with the DVD/CD-ROM I don't know.

Anybody got any idea how to get the thing working again? Like I said, it’s been a spazz ever since I got it but it’s always worked if I just reboot and try it right after the computer boots up. And it still spins a disc and ejects so mechanically it seems OK. Can anybody help get this figured out or should I just take it to the shop? 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi ColoradoHermit,

Microsoft has a FixIt for CD/DVD rom issues that would be a good starting point. Try this http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us and let me know if it helped. Hopefully it will correct the issues you are experiencing.

#3 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

I've run the Microsoft Fix it and it couldn't find the DVD/CD-ROM. It did find something called "PhotoSmart C310" and it restored that, what ever it is cuz I thought that was part of my old HP Printer program. It didn't make any difference any who.

I finally found something similar on the Dell Support. I ran the complete diagnostic and it couldn't find the DVD/CD-ROM  either. Found a fix it for it too, ran it and it couldn't find it either. Did a search for the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" and some blank journal entry came up so no help there either. 

Anybody got anymore idea's?

Thanks

#4 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hi,

Can you please check whether BIOS detects your DVD/CD Rom. If your BIOS can able to detect it, then we can be sure that Windows is having problems. But if your cant able to detect your DVD/ CD drive, then it shoudl be some problem with your hardware.

Steps to enter into BIOS:

http://www.tokeepmypcup.com/Workshop/May_2012/How_to_enter_BIOS_setup_screen.html

Chris.

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#5 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

OK, the DVD/CD-ROM is listed in the BIOS but I'm not sure just what I'm looking at. I got into the SETUP as its booting and run the Diagnostics on the DVD/CD-ROM and it passed with no problems. During the testing inserted a program CD and it read it with no problem. But still in the Device Manager for the DVD/CD-ROM  under properties it still shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I also got a update from Dell today to update the BIOS. I was hoping that it might straiten it out but it didn't make any difference. In the Bios I found where I can restore it to the factory default settings but I don't know if that would help or how to undo it if I did reset them.

I still cant figure out just what happened or when. It has been a long time since the last time I used the disc drive. At least 3 or 4 months ago at least.

So now what?

#6 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Have you tried uninstalling it from the Device Manager and rebooting. It should automatically detect and reinstall it after rebooting.

#7 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes. in the device manager I've uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, had it look for new devices, it didn't find anything new but the DVD ROM was back in the device manager. Uninstalled the DVD ROM, rebooted, it was there again, still says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I've tried disabling it, uninstalling it, removing the drivers, then rebooted. Comes back to the same thing. it's listed in the device manager and under details or what ever, it still says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I can put a disc in it and it acts like its trying to read it. Does a bunch of humming and spinnings then nothing. Press eject and it spits the disc out. When booting and I catch it just right to enter setup mode the disc drive works fine. I can put a disc in and have it run all the diagnostic test and it passes all of them with no problems at all. Finish booting up and it cant find the damn thing. When I run drivers update it says it has the latest drivers for the device. I have a Windows restore disc that I made about a year ago and it will run that when I reboot but it doesn't change or fix anything. I have a boot disc that I made last August. Same thing, it will run when in setup mode but not after it finishes booting up.

I cant find my usual computer guy that has done any work on mine when I need it. I don't know what happened to him but I'm afraid he might have passed away. His business is no longer listed in the phone book or with Google. He was the one that built my first computer (Frankie) for me back in 96 and been the only one I've ever trusted to work on my computer. Besides that he's the only one around this town that charged a fare price. Any who, Now what?

Besides the DVD/CD ROM not working its also getting slower and slower loading a page or even finding a page to load. It's a Dell Studio 1737 and 6 or 7 years old or something like that. But its always been plenty fast enough and other than the disc drive I've never had any problems with it. So any who, as for the disc drive or the DVD/CD-ROM not working like its supposed to, now what?

Thanks.

Dan

PS; I'm about ready to just shoot this thing and put it out of my misery. Anybody know if I can trade it in on a new one somewhere?

#8 Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ok, I found another suggestion we can try. You can run the FixIt from this link, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116. If that doesn't work you could also click the + next to let me fix it myself and follow those instructions. They involve working with windows registry, so if you are not comfortable with that I would not suggest it.

Actually, that FixIt links to the same one I told you to try before, so we know it won't work. I will do some more looking for you, but if you want you can attempt the instructions under the "let me fix it myself" section.

Edited by Sunnovah, 05 April 2013 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users