Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crashed laptop....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Headhurts

Headhurts

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

My wife had had one of those 'i wonder if this button will help' moments and has crashed our sons laptop - him being autistic means that every 5 minutes he is asking if its mended yet!

Its a Acer aspire 6930g and was running on windows xp .

She was trying to get the blu ray working again but crashed the whole thing instead!

She had pressed F2  setup utility and gone to the exit menu - and this is where the error was made as she pressed the option ' load setup defaults' - from here it all crashed!

When the computer starts it just goes into a loop and wont allow us to get into safe mode at all  ( a blue screen flashes briefly)

What has she done? and can it be rescued - unfortunately i do not have the xp disc as it shattered :(

(The stricken drive originally had vista on it and was converted to xp before we had it )

We do have another computer and i did take out the harddrive and can access it as an external drive.

Any ideas?.....please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

After attaching the Acer hard drive to the other system...try running the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk E: /r (where E: represents the Acer hard drive letter assigned by the other system)..  The scan should begin, running in the background, so you may continue using the system.

Upon completion of the scan, reconnect the hard drive in the laptop and see if it will boot.

Louis

#3 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

thank you for your response Loius

Did try what you suggested - the scan ran fine but made no change.

any thing worth a go though.

cheers

any more ideas welcome :)

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

( a blue screen flashes briefly)

• When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    disableautomaticrestart.png
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    bsod_c.jpg
  • Please post me the error(s).

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

It was only the stop information that appeared stop: 0X0000007B, (0XB84CF524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

thank you for your time.

Edited by Headhurts, 24 March 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hello,

Is this the error received when starting regular mode, safe mode, or both?

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#7 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thank you blade. I was able to discover what the code meant after i followed you precious instructions and it appeared that the default option had returned the system to IDE - when i changed it back to SATA everything came back.

Now i can get back to sorting out why the bluray has stopped working.

many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users