Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Is Faster Powerline Adpater Or Wifi

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

Right now I am running with a decent with setup my isp is currently upgrading my internet speed. My computer is about 60ft from the router I am not getting close to as fast as I could be getting. I am just wondering if I switched to powerline adapters would they be over all faster than a wifi setup??

Edited by DJboutit, 21 March 2013 - 07:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tellus

tellus

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

I don't know what kind of router you're using, frequency band, etc., but here's some general advice...

Get a wifi analyzer and have a look at the wireless topography in your area.  Many people are still using the 2.4GHz band, and there are a very limited number of channels to broadcast/receive on (11-13).  If you are in an apartment complex you can have 60 routers in range that are all using channels 1, 6, and 11 and get a perfectly good signal by switching to channel 9.  You may also find that where you're set up (60ft away) you have a straight shot to a neighbors wifi (through a flat wall or window) that is on the same channel causing data collisions.

Free wifi analyzers:

You can change your wireless channel from the router configuration page in the same area as you set your SSID.

If you're connecting over the 5GHz band you can try switching to a different channel as well - trial and error or using a 5GHz analysis program...

If troubleshooting your connection in this way doesn't get you better speed, this might be a stable setup I can suggest:

ISP>Modem>Wireless Router(192.168.1.1, channel 3)>(network cable)>Powerline Adapter>Powerline Adapter>(network cable)>Wireless Access Point(192.168.1.2, channel 8)

In this situation you can count on wires to get your data where it needs to be.  Wireless is always going to have hot spots and dead spots - that's the tradeoff for convenience.  My experience tells me that if you have multiple wireless access points that are connected to each other by wired technology it is faster than if they were connected by wireless range extenders.  All your access points should have the same SSID, same security settings, etc. but have a different IP address and use a different wireless channel.  I've had the best success with hand-offs between identical devices in a configuration like this.

You can probably google some more indepth instructions on extending a wireless network, but anything other than the wired/wireless combination I describe above has always been less than ideal so I wanted to steer you towards what I know works.

Actually, as I wrote this I searched for powerline adapter/wireless access point combos, and it turns out there are some on the market since I last checked:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20026666-283.html

I'm not certain if you have the option of configuring the device to use the ideal wifi settings described above or not, but if you can it would save you some configuration...  something I'll definitely be looking into!

Good luck!

#3 sumguy#1

sumguy#1

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Additionally, if you do get powerline adapters and wanted to plug another powerline adapter into a electrical outlet 60' away in a different location. You would have to be on the same electrical circuit as the powerline adapter that the router is plugged into for the adapter to work.

So probably a good idea to make sure the room you plan to use an adapter in, is on the same electrical circuit as the one you would plug the router powerline adapter into.

This would apply to powerline adapters that don't have the wi-fi built in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users