Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curse of the Stalling Installers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aazari

aazari

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Okay, this is getting annoying. My old laptop died. I had to get a new one. Quite against my will, I was forced into Windows 8. Not my favorite thing after abysmal experiences with Win 7.

I've got  a ton of graphics programs like Paint Shop Pro X (not the newest, but not ancient either). I need them for my art. I can't afford to go buy new versions of everything just because Win 8 is a huge PITA. When I try to install them on Win 8, they get to "registering modules" and then stop responding. The installer stays running in the background even after I close it out giving me an "error 1500" if I try to install anything after that. I finally realized that if I looked, there were mulitiple instances of the Win 32 bit installer running in processes. If I kill those off I can try to install things again, but the installer still freezes up at registering modules. When I start the install, it does not give me any compatability messages.

Does anyone know a way to work around this so I can get my graphics programs installed correctly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

hi, did you try compatibility mode to install it ,i this info before with success on different programs  ,good luck

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-run-older-programs-under-windows-8.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 aazari

aazari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

I may have to go back and totally clear out all instances and traces of the programs and try it again. I pulled the installers up and tried to run them under both XP and Vista compatibility (I've run these programs on both with no issues) and neither mode allowed them to complete the install. I guess the stuff I downloaded to install (FireFox, Comodo, AVG) must have already debugged their newest versions for this atrocious OS. *smirk* They went on fine. But nothing I've got on disk so far will complete the install sequence. It's quite frustrating as I need these programs on my latop to speed up my art workload. My old desktop is a super slow frankenputer and is really inadequate for the programs I'm using to begin with. Add to it it's old as hell (a pre-1999 built tower) and you can imagine it gets cranky with all the modern drivers and such.

One of the other fixes I saw mentioned was to turn on Hyper-V. But, for some reason, Hyper-V is not listed among the Windows options I can turn off and on. And then I later found that you have to pay another license fee to Microsloth to run it? It's very confusing. The other fixes are looking a bit too complicated for me to trust my non-computer guru self to do without crashing my machine. :-/ I can do simple things like basic  maintenance, but I'm in no way comfortable doing things normally handled by experienced computer technicians. These machines are nothing like my old tough ones I used to gut myself in order to upgrade.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

yeah its all trial and error i guess ,i tried one day to install for or five old apps and even some from win98 ,some worked so didn't ,one that worked was a program called Cool edit pro 2000,a real old app

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

For those who want to install WinXP as main OS or dual boot with Win7 or 8 i recommend to buy Samsung. It is the only one i saw with Win XP support in this days. XP drivers are still available for most of the new models.

Most of the compatibility issues can be resolved by switching Win8 version from 64 to 32. Most laptops comes with 64 bit version but you can legally install 32 bit counterparts by removing pre installed OS. Before doing so make a recovery media or take an image of HDD. Then you are safe to erase 64 bit OS and install 32 bit version (Edition should be same). You can use serial from COA sticker to activate OS.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 April 2013 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users