Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus transfered from windows pc to phone via microSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gotbit

gotbit

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

There doesn't seem to be any protocol in place for posting about viruses on phones. So I will describe to start...

I'm pretty sure my Samsung Galaxy s2(running Android Version 4.0.4) has a virus of some sort relating to sd card. To start both my laptop and desktop had gotten bitten by different bugs. The desktop(running XP 32-bit) I believe is zeroaccess lockout virus? From what i've read anyways... The laptop (running Vista 32-bit) was far less of a monster, and managed to fix it. So at some point, before realizing the DT(desktop) was infected I plugged in both the ipod, and my android phone for data tranfering. Upon noticing the infection on DT, and spotting desktop.ini s, $recycler.bin s, and thumbs.db s all over. I dug around and found them on my phones sd card files as well. They seem to revolve around photos-thumb.db, music-desktop.ini, I fear it has transfered, soon after I was playing music on android Phone, and after say 30 minutes or so it decided that the music files on sd card are unsupported, and it goes from song to song saying the same thing.  If I unmount/mount it works again, for a while then goes into it again. Also noticed the ipod has been acting up lately also. I fear this is some form of usb virus, or has to do with hidden files on micro sd card. You cannot click show hidden files, and have them pop up. But when I ran Astro File Manager, and searched desktop.ini, and thumbs.db they came up. Ironically after those two searches, astro now stays in a constant state of search when asked to find anything. Search lockout? 

So my main goal here is to SAFELY backup photos, music, and contacts WITHOUT transfering this monster around anymore. After that I plan to just reformat phone and sd card. Time to get this monkey off my back hopefully, HELP PLEASE LOL...

Edited by gotbit, 20 March 2013 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gotbit

gotbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Seems I did actually nip the phones problem by manually finding files and deleting them. From what I read it seems cross-platform viruses cannot cross exe. So I decided to run a boot-time scan on the SD card, then i did the same for the phone next. After thoroughly digging around the phone appears clean.

I did also fix the music skipping songs, and the duplicate music tracks problems described. Simply go to Applications/Media Storage and clear the data cache, then reboot.

#3 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Glad you have resolved your own issue. I hope you stick around here at BC.

- Agglomerate

#4 gotbit

gotbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

For sure! Thought I might write something up after reading problem after problem, with no real definate solutions. This was an easy fix, no cost, no extra app needed (which I found many of these). I feel like I need to start learning more about android, any fixes seem quit basic comparatively. And there is a lack of specific detailed instructions online...

Edited by gotbit, 23 March 2013 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users