Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help Setting Up My Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yellowzebra712

yellowzebra712

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hi,

I just got a new dell laptop and would like to use a wireless router to connect to the internet and to my older dell desktop. I have a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router F5D6231-4 that is currently hooked up to the desktop for use as a firewall (I did not set this up, my cousin's husband did, but he is now living in a different state so he can't help me) and both computers are running Windows XP Professional.

First I tried doing what the packaging on the new laptop told me to do to connect to a wireless network which was click on the little wireless network icon in the bottom left hand corner of the desktop. It brought up 5 different networks, but only one was "security enabled" so I figured since the router is also a firewall that must be it and connected to that. It told me I have "limited or no connectivity" even when the laptop is sitting right next to the router, when I do the "repair" option it tells me that it could not "renew my IP address", and to "contact the person who manages my network" which, I guess is me, but I have no idea what that means so that wan't very helpful.

Next, I tried the Wireless network wizard on the desktop and created a new network and since I don't have a jump drive it said I needed to hand-enter the network key into the router and both computers, but I don't know how to enter it into the router. So then, I found the router manual (when all else fails...read the directions) and in it found the router start-up cd which told me to add the laptop and then it would magically connect to the internet, which I did and then restarted the laptop like it said , I tried the internet and it didn't work and it still gives me the "limited or no connectivity" thing when I look at the wireless connection.

I'm thinking my cousin's husband might have done something fancy when he set the thing up and thus, doing it the simple way (with the cd) won't work. There are instructions for the complicated way in the book, but I don't understand them so I didn't really try that.

Am I connected to the wrong network? Do I just need to go buy a jump drive? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Kayla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:48 AM

Have you added the laptop with the connection wizard? If not, control panel>wireless network wizard and add it. After you have done that, you should be able to see both computers. When you get to the end of setup when it asks about copying the network, click the option to just finish.If I were you, and the choice was mine to make, I would delete all those networks and set up one. I really can't get my head around 5. Also, you may need to use the wireless adapter program to repair the connection. I use an ashton air dask from my usb port, and I have to use the ashton wizard to configure. i.e. enter the place I wish to connect. In your case that is belkin.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 yellowzebra712

yellowzebra712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:39 PM

I got it worked out. Turns out I was connecting to the wrong network...right...

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Now you said that the only one that was secured was not the right one. So I am guessing that yours is not secured.

You might want to do this to protect your computers and keep people from stealing your internet acess.

The simplest way of doing this is to set up a WEP. There are probably instructions in the manual that came with the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users