Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Directsound Error; No Sound From Winamp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kellydgk

kellydgk

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

When I try to listen to Winamp, I get the error message: DirectSound output v. 2.42 d (error)
Bad DirectSound driver. Install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code:88780078. I share this computer with two other people; both say they have not removed or altered any programs. I can hear Limewire but not the internet. Is there some way to download this driver on the internet? What could've happened here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:22 AM

You could have become infected with something downloaded from Limewire.

P2P aps are the largest source of system infection there is.

Do you know exactly when this problem began?
If you do, or know a date that you are pretty certain you didn't have this problem I would recommend that you use Windows System Restore to return your system back to a non-infected system state condition.

Click on start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.
Open the system restore wizard, pick a date before your system exhibited problems, and restore your system.

After restoring your system, or if you are unable to restore it, update your anti-virus ap and run it from safe mode.

Let us know.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

Hi kellydgk
You might want to take a look at the thread from the Nullsoft forum below as well.
Seems to happen with Winamp from time to time. You'll need to know the sound device your laptop uses for playback. If you don't, it'll be in Device Manager.

DirectSound output v.2.42 (d) error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users