Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: In thr market for a new desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

My parents are starting to look at nerw desktop machines to replace their old one, none of us like the look or feel of Windows Eight. {My mom says its uglier then sin itself, my dad doesn't really care}, I recommended getting Windows Seven from a local  chopshop to install onto a new machine or ask directly for a Winseven machine

My budget for the new computer is: Their budget for a new desktop {just the desktop maybe a USB mouse to go with it} is USD450

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Email and webbrowsing, my mom and da play online games {yahoo games mostly} and my mom uses it for email as well.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? At this moment, none aside from music software prebuilt in

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Just Yahoo! Games and online flash games

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? No, only program normally running is IE on my mothers laptop {they have yet to get used to Chrome as I recommeneded}

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Some, but not a lot. We play music on the machine, but we do not store it on the machine.

My parents are a bit confused on certain features and the like {for example they get hard drive and memory mixed up at times}, and they really just want something fast, and not constantly running its CPU fan and a million miles an hour on their old machine {I can hear it when I try to sleep in the spare bedroom at night when it idles!}.

Their current desktop machine is nearly 9 years old with 512mb ram on it and Windows XP Home 32bit on it with a 80gig hard drive. Thing is very sluggish and almost contantly locksup on them and just sits there taking up space. I recommended a SuperWorkStation from SuperMirco barebone through Amazon for USD650, but Mom is still out with the jury on that one due to its size. If I can find something a little cheaper with Windows Seven on it for them that will do what they need and not be too large or overloaded with bloatware would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

G'day, i presume you will be ordering from Amazon.cn, based on your parents uses, a high end desktop is unnecessary. The Lenovo ThinkCentre would be better suited as it is reliable and well built.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=VxZKUc7EHoaNkAWKy4DYCg&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Damazon%2Bchina%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D675&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.amazon.cn/Lenovo-%25E8%2581%2594%25E6%2583%25B3-%25E6%2589%25AC%25E5%25A4%25A9-A6000T%25E5%258F%25B0%25E5%25BC%258F%25E7%2594%25B5%25E8%2584%2591/dp/B007HY6IEO/ref%3Dsr_1_9%3Fs%3Dpc%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1363810146%26sr%3D1-9&usg=ALkJrhhCLvpLMsu8QO6FQd3DnRzmPlJBug

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the timely reply, my parents live in America and I'll be vsiting them over Easter in a few days, over that time we're planning on computer shopping. But all computers these days have Windows eight on them. Which is why I asked here for advice of where to go, my parents mostly goto Walmart or Best Buy, do either store offer Seven machines ?

Even a used machine or even rebuilt machine will work for them for their needs too.

As long as it is not overloading its CPU fan, the thing gets really loud on starup, even idling, and if something is running too long the thing just goes into overdrive and needs a forced shutdown to cool it off. Last I knew they had the side panel of the machine, an old Compaq Presiaro, open to allow more air to get in there to keep it cool.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

The only decent desktop i could find from Walmart was this but i'm not sure if there is a Fry's Electronic store nearby your parents place but this desktop is a better deal.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dgdawg

dgdawg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think it would be hard to find a Windows 7 machine at most of the retail stores now (although not impossible).  You could try Newegg.  They have some good sales and offer free shipping on a lot of stuff.  You could send them a link and they could order it.

Here is one for example:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103788

#6 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well, the link from Walmart my parents are highly interested in, they found another off that link for cheaper {USD198, a refurb Dell machine with Winodws Seven Professional from what I heard}. They're thinking about it now. They're just waiting for the right time in terms of money needs. My father's hospital bills are adding up and the like too {my father was recently foun to have I think type 2 Diabetes, but I do not remember as it was a year ago when it was all happening}

thanks much guys!

#7 dgdawg

dgdawg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

You could also try TigerDirect.com.  They sell refurbished and off-lease computers.  Best wishes to your father.  My father had diabetes too.

#8 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thanks again guys I just got an email from my mom, they like the idea of th USD198.99 refurb Dell desktop server workstation with 4GB ram and 750GB hard drive with windows seven on it. It looks like a nice machine to me. It'll do what they want for sure I think.

Thanks guys for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users