Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with my computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DreadAlert

DreadAlert

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hey guys. 

I've had my computer almost 2 years now. I've been having a couple of problems with it recently that I just don't understand.

When I press the power button, it starts up, then after a few seconds shuts off automatically, only to restart itself and then STAY on this 2nd time.

Also, the 2nd time when it starts up properly, most of the time there will be a churning sound that sounds like a fan grating or something, it starts with a slow revving, and this really loud whirring sound that won't stop until I press the power off. I have to keep re-doing this until it just eventually doesn't do it. I don't understand.

Please help me out. I've already bought some compressed air and dusted out the entire computer and all of it's components and fans. 

Thanks in advance.

-DreadAlert

Edited by DreadAlert, 20 March 2013 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

That does sound a lot like a fan is failing. Although this doesn't usually cause a restart after a few seconds. There may be two faults.

I'm assuming that this is a desktop computer. Check the fans by disconnecting the power and taking off the cover. Try turning each fan. They should turn freely. If you can't identify the problem one this way, plug the power back in and turn on the computer while watching and listening to the fans. Turn the power back off before post finishes and windows starts to load (you will hear a beep when post completes).  If you need more time to identify the source of the noise, power it back down and disconnect the hard drive.

Some cases have a switch which tells the computer not to start if the case is open. If yours has one (not very common) you might have to hold it or stick something in there to make it think the cover is on.

Naturally keep your hands well clear of any circuitry while the cover is off.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

When you opened the case did you try starting the computer to see if you could locate the location of this noise?

There's an old mechanic's practice which can help you locate the location of this noise.  Take a plastic or wooden spoon and place the handle end against the fan case, place your ear on the other end of the spoon.  If it is loud through the spoon you have found the location.  Before you try this on the fan place the spoon on a couple of different locations on the case so that you get a feel of how the ambient sounds differ from where the noise is coming from.

When you opened the case did you turn on the computer and try to see if there were any wires being hit by the fan blades?

When you cleaned out the case was there a lot of dust in the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU?

Did you clean both the heat sink and fan so that they are free of dust?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DreadAlert

DreadAlert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have a liquid CPU cooler, so I just got the dust off of all of the components of the cooler that are visible without taking stuff out. 

No I haven't tried turning it on with the case open yet. I'll try and find the source of the noise now.

#5 DreadAlert

DreadAlert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

The source of the loud noise is definitely the fan mounted on the side panel. Even when I take it off the actual machine so it's open, but the fan is still connected to the mobo via a 3 pin, it seems to start spinning fine, and continue spinning but start making this horrible sound. There is definitely nothing in the way of the blades.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Unfortunately most of these fans have a sleeve bearing which eventually will fail and screech like a banshee.  You can try adding a little 3 in one oil to see if it will quieten it down.  There should be a paper disc over the center of the fan on one side or the other.  If you peal this back you should be able to add the oil to it there.  I would use a wooden tooth pick, the type with the sharp pointed end, to apply a very small amount of oil.  This may prolong the inevitable, but you will eventually need to replace it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users